Blog 1

The study of molecular anthropology, a subfield of physical or biological anthropology, uses genetic or molecular level data/specimens to “study the evolution and dispersal of modern humans.” I read a short blog post by researcher D. Andrew Merriweather on the website for the American Association for the Advancement of Science in which he gave this definition as an introduction into his article on politics and research in Molecular Anthropology.
As an introduction to the politically charged aspects of molecular anthropology he cites the book “The Bell Curve”, which presents a theory that there are differences in intelligence based on race and or population. This book is extremely controversial as it has many possible racist leanings and implications.
Merriweather studies the migrations of people into the Americas and Oceania. With his work he does research on both ancient and living peoples. He described many controversies that have occurred with various Native American groups who do not want ancient burials or ancestor’s remains tested or studied. One particular case was the “infamous” Kennewick Man, which he was able to extract DNA from but has now been returned to five tribal groups for reburial post court case.
Mr. Merriweather goes on to discuss that he is continuing the work of anthropologist Napoleon Chagnon and geneticist James V. Neel who have been accused of committing numerous crimes throughout their work with the Yanomami people in Venezula. They have been accused of spreading malaria by distributing a malaria vaccine. Even though one could say “the damage is already done” and the samples have already been collected and vaccines already given, there is protest to Mr. Merriweather continuing his work using these samples – taken in the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s. It seems the protest to him using these samples is based on ethical principle rather than fear of further harm being done. I would compare it to how police keep cash from drug busts in evidence boxes rather than use it as currency. Anyways, Mr. Merriweather laments that he is fearful of the stigma associated with continuing this research.
This article was interesting to me as I would not have thought anthropology to be a field with many political barriers. Even the act of people protesting the researchers can be seen as a study of culture and and an anthropological event. These groups resist researchers in order to protect their communities and preserve heritage. It is a cultural reaction which opposes the influence and alteration that outsiders may bring.
However, the instinct to resist genetic testing or removal of skeletons or ancient remains may be an evolutionary trait – meant to protect from harm from outsiders. (While I do believe that many Native American and other ethnic groups are justified in their protests against external researchers and archeologists, I wonder if this is compounded by the fact that resisting outsiders may be an evolutionary trait.)
Thus, this is both a cultural and biological reaction, making it a true anthropological event. Interesting to me that as an anthropologist Mr. Merriweather does not understand why people have opposed him. The field of anthropology in part seeks to understand how humans interact with their environment and with each other. I hope he is able to use his knowledge of human interaction to help navigate the conflicts in this field.

2 thoughts on “Blog 1

1. I actually have read and studied the Bell Curve journal that was discussed in the article. However, I didn’t know that it fell under the study of anthropology. Which is very interesting to me because I feel that I am still getting a grasp on the concept that is anthropology. Like you mentioned I didn’t know this field had so many political barriers that are affect it or maybe I do and it’s just never been brought in this way to me before.

I thought it was interesting how you brought up an evolutionary trait of being resistive of outsiders. Research has been done that suffering can be passed down through genes as well, through the children of slaves who were never slaves feel the internal pain as well. I wonder if the two concepts go hand in hand.

2. I wrote my post on Molecular Anthropology and I was intrigued by your post on the Bell Curve because I was not familiar with the Bell Curve as a concept within anthropology. After reading your post, I found it interesting the intersectionality that anthropology has with politics and political barriers. After discussing the instinct to resist genetic testing as an evolutionary trait, I ask the same question if this resisting behavior and protests from the Native Americans serve fall under as an evolutionary trait. However, having not been familiar with these concepts in anthropology, I definitely can see the prevalence that this debate has within the field of anthropology. I think it will be interesting to learn more about cultural factors within this class and the effect it has on evolution and behaviors within species.