Week One: Medical Anthropology

The website I chose to explore for a subfield of biological anthropology is medical anthropology. Studying human biology with aspirations of perusing a medical profession, medical anthropology is something as a practicing physician would need to be aware of. This website helped me explore the professional organization of medical anthropology http://www.medanthro.net. Looking at medical anthropology, they study various sections such as biological, socio-cultural, and linguistics to better try and understand the overall wellbeing and health beliefs of a patient. From various cultures, patients will experience illness, healing and describe over all well-being differently. Studying medical anthropology allows you to better understand and have an open mind when it comes to treating what is medically necessary based upon their beliefs. This contributes to the broader theme of socio-cultural anthropology by studying humans and medical anthropology.  Medical anthropology is a mixture of approaches but to a practicing physician, the socio-cultural approach I believe would be the main point to look at. This approach focuses on the health of the patient based upon their culture, such as their healing practices. For western medicine, our healing practices over here usually include medication, that is our first go to. For other cultures they might believe in more natural, herbal or spiritual approaches. Some cultures experience disease and illness differently than others. But on another hand, medical anthropologists also look at cases such as this: Which is focusing on clinical drug trials in areas where healthcare is limited or nonexistent. ( http://www.medanthro.net/policy/prior-statements/clinical-drug-trials/) Exploiting populations where healthcare is not present and access to a doctor is extremely limited. It has an ethical approach where its considering these populations don’t have access to healthcare and companies come in with drug that they would normally never have access to, which may or may not fix them. They are running clinical trials for drugs with what can have horrific side effects, but these people just see a new medicine that could possibly help. Anthropologists are coming into communities to explain / translate the purpose of the trial, giving details on the control medication, what placebo is, how the trial is randomized as well as the possible side effects. They also come in to explain to the community their rights, their right to deny participation and overall consent of what they’re agreeing to in a way that the trial patients can understand. Anthropologists are trying to educate the community fully before consenting to a clinical trial. This study going on is to prevent such an “ethically unjustified” case such as the Tuskegee study that happened back in the 1940’s on syphilis patients who were isolated black men who were promised food and free medical exams. The patients with syphilis were mixed with other fatigued or anemic patients which were all falsely misled about their medical condition. This community was studied and continued to be subject to research even when treatment was discovered. This unethical study of people who would not normally have access to easy food or healthcare was offered what seemed to be a deal of a life time. Medical anthropologists are now making sure this does not happen again. This is HUGE in todays world, clinical trials for medication which is being trialed on vulnerable communities in underdeveloped countries without healthcare. Which in result will benefit the pharmaceutical companies that can sell their medication to larger, more developed countries who’s citizens have access to healthcare.

One thought on “Week One: Medical Anthropology

1. After reading your blog post, it made find Medical Anthropology even more interesting. It never crossed my mind that people from less fortunate places that do not have healthcare would have clinical trials for drugs that may have horrible side effects. I was glad to find out that anthropologists are trying to spread awareness to these people about the horrible things that come from these trials. It made me happy to realize how fortunate we are now with our current medical practices. I’ve learned about the Tuskegee trials in many of classes I’ve had in the past. Every time I learn about this, I just find very crazy how long they were able to get away with misleading them. I’m happy that Medical Anthropologists are now making sure that a study like this won’t happen again.