Blog Two – Evolution

In my field of study, genetics, Evolution in a fundamental part of all that we learn.  Genetics would not be a field of study without evolutionary changes. Evolution is a key concept relating to allelic differences studied in genetics. Without genetic differences in populations, there would be no concept of evolution because we would all be the same in terms of genetic make-up. Human variability is the core of what genetics is, noting that the differences in genetic make-up of different people have effects on phenotypic traits, from something as simple as appearance to something as complex as diseases. The basis of allelic variation is directly related to evolution. A great example of this is that in certain parts of Africa have a genotypic predisposition to sickle cell anemia, sickle cell carriers, due to the phenotypic advantages against Malaria. This example shows that though being a sickle cell carrier is not normally an advantage, in cases where Malaria is high in prevalence the frequency of being a sickle cell carrier is higher due to sickle cell anemia being less harmful than Malaria. This selection occurred because of phenotypic advantages in certain situations due to difference in genetic variation and showcases how evolution occurs in genetics to create advantages. This genotypic variability explains the basis of life in complex ways, but is not possible without the theory of evolution. 

Evolution is a fascinating theory to me, and the articles from this week have just intriqued me more regarding the nature of evolution. On a basic level of Darwinian evolution, natural selection occurs by preserving and accumulating genetic advantages over time. These genetic changes lead to functional advantages that are visible, also known as phenotypic traits. One thing that I liked about the Alters and Alters article is that it addresses environmental factors, or lifestyle factors, as an interaction that plays a role in the variation that humans have. This is something that I study a lot with genetics because even though one may have a genetic predisposition to a specific disease, variation in environmental factors may impact the displaying of a disease in different people. 

Another interesting part of this article was the debate over education including evolution. I agree with this article that scientific courses should include evolution in the curriculum because it is the basis of what biology is and how it became a field. Without the study of evolution, biology is simply a theory with no attached reasoning  of how it came about or why it is what it is. Although one may not think about it in this way when going about scientific learning, evolution is the basis of biology in almost every case. Without evolution one does not have a reason for resistance to drugs or environmental factors, one cannot explain the underlying similarities among creatures even though they are vastly different on a phenotypic level, and one cannot explain the genetic similarities in similar phenotypic situations. Overall, I believe that evolution is an integral part of science, biology specifically, and that without it most of biology  cannot be explained.

6 thoughts on “Blog Two – Evolution

1. HI Madison,

I really appreciate your insights on evolution. I had not thought before how intrinsicallly connected evolution and genetics are. I think if people saw evolution as small changes in alleles they would be much more willing to welcome it into schools curriculum. But, for many people when they hear the word “evolution” they think about monkeys becoming humans which is hard for many to grasp. Framing the concept of evolution as one that is vital to understanding biological concepts and modern medicine makes it much more appealing.
    I also like how you summarized what we learned in this week’s lecture on sickle cell anemia and malaria. It is a great example of evolution at an increased pace. I wonder how this will change as there are better ways to fight off malaria and more drugs for those affected by sickle cell anemia.

2. Hey!
    That is awesome you are a genetics major, so fascinating! I have never taken a genetic course and do not know much about the field, except that you study genetics of humans and how they are similar and different from one another. I like how you talk about the example that Africa have a genotypic predisposition to sickle cell anemia, very cool connection you have made. Differences have a huge affect on the population and are what leads to evolution Even though my major does not study the biology and what makes humans how they are biologically, the field of criminal justice, which is my major, focuses on how our society has evolved and how our criminal justice system has adapted and evolved to people over time.

Word Count:128

3. Hey Madison! First I would like to say that being a Human Biology major correlates with the study of evolution pertaining to human variation and your study of genetics. We have many similarities when within both of our field of studies. Not many people recognize how Biology and Genetics affect many science courses like Physical Anthropology as a whole. However, your thoughts on evolution involve every aspect of the science courses that we take. Whether we think it or not. But I would say genetics is one of the main factors why variation continues to evolve each day because it makes each individual unique in their own physical way of functioning. Genetics defines who we are specifically in this world of diverse changes since human evolution started.

4. Hi Madison! I think it is super awesome how interested in genetics you are, as well how it correlates to anthropology. Evolution should be included in our curriculum for science courses, like you said in your blog, “Without the study of evolution, biology is simply a theory with no attached reasoning of how it came about or why it is what it is”. Not very many people know very much about evolution and I feel like that does need to be changed because it is a part of everyones history. Without knowing about evolution, you do not know how your very self came to be. I also like how you addressed that environmental and lifestyle factors play a role in the variation that humans have. I feel as this correlates directly to biology and our genetics and is another reason proving how important evolution is to biology and to science in general.

5. Hi Madison! It was interesting to read your blog from the perspective of someone who is majoring in a subject that includes all of these teachings. This kind of subject is not something I am taught a lot, however, I am still surrounded by it because of the endless connections it uncovers relating to biological science. Your knowledge about genetics and human evolution is probably through the roof compared to others in this course and I’m excited to see more about the knowledge you have to share. In regards to the Alters and Alters article, I also agree with their reasoning behind why evolution should be taught to science students. Through this assignment, I connected for the first time that evolution is the basis of biology in almost every case. And your statement about the many open-ended questions and frustrations students could have when they are not able use logical scientific explanations made it clear to me how we would be lost without this theory.

6. Hi Madison! It was interesting to read your blog from the perspective of someone who is majoring in a subject that focuses on all of these teachings. This kind of subject is not something I am taught a lot, however, I am still surrounded by it because of the endless connections it uncovers relating to biological science. Your knowledge about genetics and human evolution is probably through the roof compared to others in this course and I’m excited to see more about the knowledge you have to share. In regards to the Alters and Alters article, I also agree with their reasoning behind why evolution should be taught to science students. Through this assignment, I connected for the first time that evolution is the basis of biology in almost every case. And your statement about the many open-ended questions and frustrations students could have when they are not able use logical scientific explanations made it clear to me how we would be lost without this theory.