Week 2 Reflection Blog Post

My declared majors both are pretty much biology. I would think that my specific field does understand evolution and human variability through the courses I had to take. Biological sciences does make sure to focus on all fields of biology as a topic whereas human biology definitely covers human variability. Human variability and evolution also ties hand in hand where the conclusion of evolution includes how organisms have adapted and created diversity and in that variability within species, including humans.

How both of majors biological sciences/human biology understand evolution and human variability is that both focus and start from molecules, understanding microscopic level and its mechanisms. Starting with this foundation, at the microscopic level also includes introducing DNA replication. DNA from there can be related to other mechanisms that occur in biology on a macroscopic level that include evolution. DNA also goes into why mutations occur and how that can connect to adaptations and variability among species. This then can overall really relate to the topics mentioned, evolution and human variability. Evolution to expand, does help with understand the history of human life and what life could have been long ago, and I think that is why the writing for Alters and Alters state that. This can apply to our anthropology class and the broader field or archaeology when thinking back of how life was back then. The readings, videos, and lectures did not give me a different light in my field that I am studying because I feel that most of the material covered this week is what I have to dive into more depth within my majors.

Knowing how these courses within my majors have benefitting me understanding the concept of evolution I would overall agree with Alters and Alters conclusion of their writing that it should be a topic to be discussed and taught in schools. While that statement by Alters and Alters can be correct, “evolution is a unifying theme among many sciences” I would have to disagree even though, I agree with their overall conclusion that it should be taught in schools in science classes. I disagree because I believe science is very broad and actually underlies every other subject there is- while evolution can somehow tie into many sciences, we often don’t really think about evolution until it is brought up for a discussion.  On a side note, I also took education courses and while evolution can be controversial to be taught, hence why this paper was written to defend that evolution should be taught, science teachers if evolution is within their curriculum, by the state, the teacher needs to include evolution in their lesson during the school year whether or not the teacher agrees. And I would say that goes for a lot of what school stands for. Many instructors can disagree with what they are teaching when it is a sensitive or a controversial topic, but to be unbiased and provide all the sides and thoughts to their students is important for the students to know, make their own choices, and think on their own.

One thought on “Week 2 Reflection Blog Post

1. Having an extensive background in biology as well I completely agree with your statements. We have learned so much starting at the most basic and primitive level as to how evolution impacts pretty much everything about not only ourselves but other organisms. I agreed that this paper by Alters and Alters gave a perfect description of the importance of learning and understanding evolution. It is something that I think people do not always realize is still occurring and the changes that might be starting to happen now we might not see until future generations. I think a lot of people think that evolution has already happened and do not understand that it is a continuous process and organisms are always adapting and evolving to become the most fit for the situations and environments that they live in.