Week 2 Blog

This week’s reading showed me that even though this class is science based, its topics still relate to my (very un-science) major. I am studying Political Science/Prelaw and although it is very separate from this week’s idea of evolution and DNA, it still correlates. Politics and law are both heavily involved with people and the general functions of society. Our lectures this week showed me the biological side of why and how people are the way they are. It also presented how the DNA in our bodies have affected the evolution of people and society. These ideas tie into how politics, laws, and governments have morphed over time as well. Without the physical changes in people, we would never be this advanced in other fields as well. All of the evolution we have endured over time has shaped the outline of general life and how it operates.

In terms of DNA and evolution, society and its citizens have changed drastically over time. These changes affect how laws are created and enforced. I am studying to become a lawyer and learning the inside scoop of how future clients will be can help me dramatically. With this new knowledge, I am aware of how and why popular opinion has changed, and how society has grown into a more accepting or empathetical type. Genetic “mutations” have caused all of the changes thus far.

The study of biological anthropology has provided a lot of insight for many other science (or not science) fields. Studying the physical aspects of people and how the functions allows for lawmakers and government employees to see why certain changes are made or why specific societal issues are favored for change. Because DNA is basically the overall make-up of humans, it only makes sense that any field regarding people is affected by the evolution of it. The articles and information we were given this week showed me just how important biological anthropology is. It allowed me to see my field a little differently regarding how dependent it is on the function of people.

Alter and Alter’s article touched base on the importance of the education of evolution. Everyone sees evolution with a different opinion, considering it is a very controversial subject. Many states are on the fence between allowing it to be taught or completely erasing it from school curriculum. The article shows its readers that evolution can be separate from religion or whichever reason one may choose to disagree with it. Evolution ties into so many aspects of life and society. This class has taught me that evolution focuses on more than just disagreeing with religious perspectives. It shows how humans function as a whole and how DNA and time affect human variability. Without studying and teaching this information, the study of medicine, archaeology, and history would all be significantly less advanced. The article showed me that humans’ behavior and physical traits all stem back to early life. However, none of this knowledge would be possible without reflecting on how we have evolved.

3 thoughts on “Week 2 Blog

1. Hi Rachel!

I want to start off by saying your post was well written and extremely informative. I loved hearing about your perspective on this week’s content, especially how it relates to your political science/prelaw major. I think you made a great point in saying that because of evolution, the changes that have occurred have an impact on laws. Before reading your post, I never really thought about it in that light. After thinking about it more in depth, I could see how genetic mutations could cause the government to regulate laws differently or possibly even create new laws. I completely agree with your opinion on the importance of schools continuing to teach evolution, despite the controversy. I believe there are ways to keep religion and the other controversial aspects out of teaching evolution. Overall, I see teaching evolution as having more positives than negatives.

2. Just like you my major is not closely related to the sciences and I had a hard time connecting it to the idea of evolution. However, after reading your post I have a better understanding on how evolution affects all fields and shapes our life and how it operates. As you stated anything involving people is going to have advances as people psychically change. Especially in law it’s important to note physical changes as it can impact people’s opinions and thoughts which is extremely important knowledge in your field. I am glad you mentioned Alter and Alter’s article and the controversy over the teaching of evolution. I agree that despite the argument that it fights with religion there is a way to keep the two separate when teaching. Without evolution fields such as anthropology and other sciences would be missing a vital part of society understandings.

3. Hi Rachel! I also have very un-science-y majors as I am a double major in James Madison College. I think your points about a correlation of human evolution and the evolution of the fields of law, politics etc. are really fascinating! At first, I struggled a bit with finding a connection or trying to understand how my fields would see these topics, but it became increasingly clearer as well as more interesting because of the lack of science they have. Both of my majors have discussed eugenics and the use of bogus racial science (mostly by colonial powers) to justify racist actions. But I do find it interesting how you also discuss the fact these fields are contingent on the fact that people change over time and must reflect that. I think that is also especially important for public health policy because of the fact that if people become more susceptible/resistant to certain diseases, then they must understand how people change to develop appropriate policy.