Week Two- Evolution

Currently I’m Pre-Law studying Human Resources and Labor Relations, minoring in Leadership. My major primarily deals with people, why people work, the fluctuating economy, and how that affects work. Labor Relation primary focus is the well-being of the workers. Labor relations has a very long history in changing labor laws in America. Labor and employment Law are certainly one of the most controversial sectors within law. So, my job will mainly be people orientate. Although I’m studying people and how to deal with them, Human Resources is far from science! I can make some relations regrading Human Resources to the process of evolution and human variability: it may not be entirely “spot-on”, but it’ll be worth a read. 

I began learning about evolution many years ago in high school, starting with the Darwinism theory. So, with this topic being bought up again in my college course I can say that I need a refresher, on why evolution is important and why one should learn about it.  My views on the topic certainly hasn’t changed though. I’ve always believed evolution played some part in the development of humans. After this week’s lessons and readings on the topic, I can say I still stand firm, that evolution is more than a theory, it’s a fact. I primarily feel this way because our bodies has changed over the last century to be stronger than it ever was before. Becoming immune to viruses, weather and working conditions. 

“Organisms of today got to be the way they are, evolution helps makes sense out of the history of life and explains relationships among species.” (Why Should Students Learn Evolution 104) This particular quote can be a core point of mine when trying to prove and make some sense out of the fact that HRLR (Human Resources and Labor Relation) understands the process of evolution.  The quote above explains that life is how it is today in current time based off of evolution. I feel that people in the work force today ended up how they are based of the many generations before them. For Ex: Improved working conditions and the ability to work longer shifts. Before the Wagner act of 1935, working conditions within the walls of the industrial revolution was indeed inferior. The Wagner Act didn’t make the working conditions better it just gave the workers rights. Many men died in these conditions. Their bodies couldn’t withhold the strain these factories put onto them. Today the conditions in many factories such as Chrysler, General Motors and Ford hasn’t changed, but the workers have. During the 1930s you could expect AT LEAST two deaths a week in the factory working conditions. Today a death of an employee will undoubtedly blackout a business, but it’s very rare to hear of a death in these huge corporation factories. Why? Because our bodies are different. I believe our bodies are now designed to withhold tuff conditions. Similar with the weather. In the earlier years below zero weather and 100-degree days would kill a lot of people. Today our bodies have evolved to a point where we can withhold tuff (not harsh) working and weather conditions. Labor relations primary concern is the worker. I feel workers today are less strained not only because our bodies are stronger, but because unions are a power force in making the workers working life way easier than before. 

One thought on “Week Two- Evolution

1. I agree that evolution is more than a theory. In my opinion, I feel it all make sense for evolution to be true. I was very interested about the people in the work force today and back in 1935. I never thought about how working condition were in the past and that many people died in the conditions that they were working in. It was very interesting to find out how you could relate working conditions to evolution. It is true that now our bodies can withstand below zero-degree weather and above 100-degree weather. We would definitely know about below 0-degree weather from going to Michigan State and walking to our classes. It’s a good thing now that people who work in factories have a safer environment to work in.