Blog Three

In the American Anthropological Association’s statement on race, I was surprised to learn that “there is greater variation within ‘racial’ groups than between them.” I resonate with the concept of interbreeding and the mixing of genetic material across time as even now we can see that occur. Part of that idea that resonates most with me is similar to my last blog post for the past week’s content, where I spoke of a unifying theme of humanity. This statement on race goes so far to say that this mixing of genetic materials has been a key maintenance of humanity.

The biggest thing that resonated with me was the mention of race as a social construct in both of the statements on race from the American Anthropological Association and the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. This is a concept that I feel many people do not understand because they blame race on the physical variations these two statements mention are associated with one another, yet do not predict each other. I feel proud, in a sense, that the field of anthropology acknowledges this concept and that, over time, it has become institutionalized to be about traits and differences rather than similarities. I have experience with the idea of using race as a power play, as the American Anthropological Association states it is used “for dividing, ranking, and controlling,” through my coursework here at Michigan State University. Prior to taking several courses on African studies, race, and recognizing racial disparities and disproportionate minority contact as a professional/career goal of mine, I had little exposure to the controversy over race as I came from a small, predominantly white township. For me, people were just people, even if I noticed that my friend Mary was the only one of African descent in not only just my grade, but my school as a whole. Even then, Mary was biracial, so it never occurred to me the true experiences in the daily lives of those who are black and thus, the institutionalization and “purpose” of race in society and beyond.

Explaining the non-existence of biological race to someone like my younger self would be confusing, but it would be beneficial to someone like that. I think where most people fall short is in their close-mindedness and unwillingness to learn. I think one of the most direct and succinct statements from the American Anthropological Association is the concluding remark that I would use to describe the non-existence of biological race: “present-day inequalities between so-called ‘racial’ groups are not consequences of their biological inheritance but products of historical and contemporary social, economic, education, and political circumstances.” I think that this summary does a great job in showing how race is not a thing that is, but a thing that does. What I mean by this is that race is not biological and is not based on genes or skin color, but that race is a means by which the government, companies, and individuals gain something over someone else and use those things mentioned prior, like skin color, as an excuse/reason. This follows the logic of history, but the statement also does a great job showing how this is not a historical problem solved by any amendment or law, but that it is an on-going and current issue in our society. This relates to the AAPA’s statements where they discuss how biological differences are a result of the interaction of natural and social environments as well as genetic inheritance. All in all, I think that both associations do an excellent job proving their points using what they know about their field, their audience, and the history of mankind to hopefully change the future of it. An important thing to note is that neither association denies the existence of any kind of differences, yet they use those differences to explain how biological race as used by people to explain differences is non-existent.

3 thoughts on “Blog Three

1. Hi Alivia,
    In your first paragraph, I also thought that the same quote was very striking! I never thought about something like that being true. I also agree with your statements about ‘people are just people’. love this!

2. Hello Alivia, in the very first paragraph when you stated that “there is greater variation within ‘racial’ groups than between them.” I personally agree because I too believe there wasn’t just Adam and Eve who both look like they fall in the same category. But I believe that there were multiple gardens of “Adam and Eve” only because the variation of humans have evolved since mankind. If it wasn’t for multiple gardens, then what would make some of different from one another or inherit different color skin or shape? Furthermore, I agree when you said to define race to someone with a close-minded personality it’s very difficult and can be kind of confusing. I think that many people will not understand because we live in a world of very opinionated people and that it can be very hard to convince people to put themselves in your shoes when the topic is about what truly defines race.

3. Hi Alivia,
    I liked the quote you used by the American Anthropological Association to explain the non-existence of biological race. Some people to this day refuse to acknowledge the benefits they have due to the color of their skin. These people do not acknowledge any racial issues because they are not affected by them. I also liked how you mentioned the way the associations explain non-existence of biological race. You also mentioned that there is more diversity within racial groups than between them. I completely agree with this because it was mentioned in the articles that there is only a six percent difference between the different races.