Blog Three

I very much enjoyed reading the AAA perspective on human race. There is a lot of discussion in this statement in regards to how race and the genes on chromosomes are inherited independently, meaning that there could be a wide range of traits that are unpredictable. The AAA is attempting to educate the readers of this statement by stating that skin color is nowhere near the loci of eyes and nose shape. The AAA does not fail to mention that “race” is a term used to socialize a person, that is very common, and something that society does in the 21st century and not just in the 18th century. I’m very impressed with the history the AAA provided in discussing race. The paragraph where the statement says, “this modern concept of “race” was modeled after an ancient theorem of the Great Chain of Being, which positioned natural categories on a hierarchy established by God or nature.” For someone like myself, I never pinpointed race to be in relation or God and nature or anything around that sort. As for the AAPA statement, this sentence stating, “There is no national religious, linguistic or cultural group or economic class…human beings who speak the same language and share the same culture frequently select each other as mates.” This quote stuck out to me because in society, it is all about whom we select and want in our niche. People want their environment to feel familiar, and that is what they make happen. The AAPA give many great pointers on how and why race is not described perfectly. As someone who took a course at MSU specifically discussing the concept of forensic anthropology, race has always been an issue. If I had to describe the non-existence of biological race to another person, I would first discuss the scientific factors and that many people vary due to human variation. In an example piece I read this week by writer Norman J. Sauer, anthropologists had to manipulate different skulls and use quantitative value in order to get a precise answer on what type of human they were assessing. Human race, overall, is not black and white. There are many factors that go into figuring out what race humans are. Therefore, I would discuss that genes are significant and that we must focus on isolating human genes before looking at physical features of one another. The non-existence of biological race is a hard concept to pinpoint and needs to be assessed in fine detail. There are many definitions out there categorizing race, and one must not just pay attention to skin tone. Norman J. Sauer discusses dental observation as a way to conclude what type of race forensic anthropologists are working with.  As I have mentioned before, race is a huge gray scale area and there possibly might never be a straightforward way to define race. I have learned a lot this week about how Americans have come a long way from defining race to what it is now.