Week 3 Blog

In the AAA and AAPA statements, I wouldn’t say that anything was truly surprising to me just because this topic is covered extensively in cultural anthropology classes, so I kind of came into this with some previous background knowledge. However I will say that I did enjoy reading them and it was interesting to read the statements, particularly the AAPA one, and get a more biological perspective on race. I also thought their last point, #11, which said that behavior isn’t based on race, a person’s behavior is shaped by social and physical environments. I liked this part because often times you hear people say that people with x skin color acts y way when really the way someone behaves is all based on where they live and / or where they grew up. Your skin color, as people would say is your “race,” doesn’t define your actions. Just because I look a certain way doesn’t mean I’ll act a certain way. This circles back to the third lecture which mentions biological determinism, an attempt to explain how biology, specifically physical traits, somehow relates to behavior.
If I were to explain that race is a non-biological concept, I’d probably begin by saying that race is a cultural construct, that race only exists in our minds and not in our DNA. I think at this point it would then be a good idea to tie in the Sauer piece about forensic anthropology and identifying race. Sauer makes a point of telling us that while features of skulls can connect someone to their ancestors, this is still not an indication of a race, and even furthers this point by mentioning that race is only studied in a “broad sense” (109) within the forensic field and that races are just cultural categories. I’d also want to tie in what I talked about above with biological determinism. Again, there’s tons of examples of people saying that because someone has a certain skin color they are more likely to do x. I think this would be a worthwhile subject to bring up, especially today in 2019 America when racially profiling people and targeting them because they automatically assume that they are a “bad person” is a reoccuring theme in the news. In reality this holds no ground, we are who we are because of where we are. I think it’d also be worth mentioning why and how race is / became a large focus in society, like how the AAA statement mentions the “Great Chain of Being” which creates a hierarchy of sorts that sparked the idea that Europeans are at the top of everything and everything else is successively lower than them. Reading this back, I definitely think I would approach all of these topics more lightly (I think I get a little too worked up over this sometimes),especially if I’m helping someone understand this and if I was speaking to them, but I for sure would want to be able to hit all of them in some way or another.

2 thoughts on “Week 3 Blog

1. Hi,
    good blog post, I really enjoyed reading it and liked hearing your different ideas and points from this weeks material! I also enjoyed reading the AAPA article, I liked how it had different sections basically listed by a number and then described that paragraph very well but not super long, but yet hit all the main points! I agree and also feel like point number eleven is a huge problem today! Everyone assumes that just because you look like a certain race or that individual classifies as that race that you are going to do everything that race does no matter how good or bad. Which is really sad because as you mentioned, it is literally based on the environment that individual lives in and you stated the physical and environmental they live in, which is true. People are always going to assume based on race that they are going to act a certain way or do certain things! I feel like everyone is guilty in this in some way no matter how slight it is and that person might not even know they made the comment or had that idea. I also like your point on you saying race exists in our minds not DNA, we all came from a single species. Therefore our genetic make up is clearly the same, it just depends where we live in the world that might give us some different DNA to help that individual in the future and their future generations.

2. I definitely agree with your stance, “race is a cultural construct, that race only exists in our minds and not in our DNA”. Prior to this week I have never thought to take the time to understand this concept. Ive never taken a physical anthropology course nor have read into the topic of race and its nonexistence. I think this is really eye opening and I can agree that race is not a biological concept. I wish more people knew the root of this concept of race and the lack of evidence behind it. I definitely agree every that everyone is responsible for this, the children growing up now in this time know race to be something that it isn’t and that it should be our job, as people that do know, to spread this knowledge.