Looking at different species and seeing evolution in full effect has always interested me. The most interesting part is how we became the way we are today. Through this week’s lectures, readings, and videos, I have learned a lot about how close we are to other species, like chimpanzees. If we live a more complex life than the chimps but follow the same basics then obviously that is what we expanded from. As the videos presented, we all share the understanding of bipedalism, the use of tools, language, and even community- we are just the newest model. 

One question that was never clear to me was how the consumption of meat began but after evaluating the sources presented it makes clear sense. In both the lectures and in the video “The New Chimpanzees”, it explained that time is short for the alpha male so he must do everything he can to mate as much as possible. In order to achieve this, alpha males tend to kill the youngest infants to drift the females back on reproducing. In the video, it showed the alpha male taking the infant from the mother than eventually killing it by biting it. After the infant was dead, more chimps came over to eat it. Even though meat is not the main food preference for chimpanzees, that does not mean that the clear indication of the positive effects it had on survival did not grow through the years. Unlike monkeys, we do not see the consumption of meat as a power play, we look at it as a main source of protein. 

Another thing that I found interesting was the article “What is War Goof For? Ask a Chimpanzee”. This is a great example of how close to us chimpanzees sense of community is. Erin Wayman explained an occurrence in Tanzania where a gang of male chimpanzees invaded a neighbor’s territory and attacked another male chimp until he was dead. Not only is this a prime example of competition between these species but it is brilliant how in depth their communication is. Within this group of chimps that attacked there had to be a leader, well this leader was able to communicate, direct, and carry out a mission that the rest understood. That just shows the level of intelligence these species have! It also explained that this instinct to kill probably did not even start with the chimpanzee but another common ancestor many years ago. 

It is amazing how the continuous breakdown of culture and DNA has helped link behavior to ancestors to show the evolutionary timeline of species. I mean we can look and compare ourselves to monkeys but we can also compare ourselves to earlier human as well and that is the key to understand how far we have come. People say we will evolve to soon be the worlds deadliest weapon and if that is not already true I know it will be.