Week 6 blog post

This week, I learned a great deal about how the discovery of Neanderthals affected how scientists think about the fossil record and human evolution. Paleoanthropologists have studied these fossilized remains for a long time to figure out more about humans and our evolution. We have learned a great deal from Neanderthals. For example, we were able to learn about their physical features such as their large brains, rounded crania, big faces, teeth size, body structure, and height. Studying the Neanderthal child from the Devil’s tower was one of the ways that paleoanthropologists learned more about Neanderthals and their relationship to humans. From studying the evidence for the child, Gibraltar suggested that Neanderthals develop faster than contemporary humans. They also has more precocious brain growth. We also learned that their large mid-face and noses benefitted them during the cold weather of the ice age. Paleoanthropologists have also studied their fossils to see if it was possible that Neanderthals could speak. They found that the bones around the larynx were not anatomically distinct from modern humans. Also, since their brains were large and complex, it was likely they needed speech to hunt. Humans also share a speech-related gene with Neanderthal specimens, with the same mutations humans have, which suggests Neanderthals may have shaped some of our language capabilities. It is very important to study Neanderthals in order to fully understand human evolution and why we have formed the way we did. We can also learn more about Neanderthals by looking at their culture and symbolic behavior. They mostly stayed around rock shelters because there was little evidence for shelters or organized camps. It was likely that they buried their dead, like humans do now. There were very few old people which suggests that they may have live short, brutal lives full of violence in which only the strongest survived. From studying the fossilized specimen of Neanderthals, paleoanthropologists were able to discover that humans actually share a genome with Neanderthals. The fossils also provided proof that Neanderthals mixed with early modern humans. Europeans and Asians had a part of the Neanderthal genome, but it was missing in Africa. It is likely that this mixing occurred in the Middle East. Studying Neanderthal genes can teach us a lot about ourselves, and why humans were so successful in evolution and natural selection. In my opinion, the biggest contribution these findings have made to the study of human diversity was creating a direct link with the genome that exists in both humans and Neanderthals. The genome project was one of the most successful ways of proving a direct link between the two species. When studying the connection in genes, we can learn so much more about the two groups, their differences, and why one died out while the other survived and evolved. None of this would have been possible without the work of paleoanthropologists studying these fossilized specimen and producing this link. With the continued study of Neanderthal fossils, we can uncover more and more about their relationship to humans and human evolution.

3 thoughts on “Week 6 blog post

1. Hi Diana Abdelhak! I really enjoyed your response about how Neanderthals affected human evolution. Many researchers have studied fossilized remains for a good amount of time. However, through their discoveries, I agree with you when you said it has shown that our supposed ancestors were able to speak and be able to hunt for food because of this skill. I like how you reference that Humans inherit traits from Neanderthals through the link provided in our assignments. Other than that, I didn’t know that the genome project was a way to directly link two species to compare their genes between each other! It’s very informative of you to explain the extinction of Neanderthals and that if one died, another one existed and became more modern over time.

Joshua K. Belcher

2. Hi Diana,

From this week’s lecture’s I also focused mainly on the Homo floresiensis and I found your blog post to be really interesting even though we discussed the different things. I found it so peculiar that the Neanderthals had a larger brain than us as modern humans but also that because of this, children developed faster in return. Which leads me to wonder why they had this faster development? Was it because children had to become more independent from their parents at an earlier age? These were just a couple of questions running through my head. I also found it very interesting when you discussed Neanderthals speaking. I know that their larynx anatomy wasn’t too distinct from humans so they probably in their own way could speak. Which is very weird for me to think about because cavemen in cartoons always just grunt or say one word sentences so it was an interesting concept for me.

3. You give a lot of great information about Neanderthals and the traits they had that are similar and different to the traits we see in modern humans. Like the child from the devil’s tower and how this showed that Neanderthals developed faster than contemporary humans. This can give insight into why their brain functioned differently even though they have a larger brain size. I liked how you mentioned the finding that Neanderthals actually share a genome with humans. This fact brings up a lot of questions to how this came to be and also provides a lot of answers to why we have so many comparable traits. Its cool how the genome project was able to directly link the two species and compare their genes.