Blog 7

This course has placed a massive importance on the concept of evolution over the past seven weeks. We have looked at evolution through all sorts of lenses but mostly we have attempted to answer the question how did we get here? In this week’s material we attempt to answer the question where are we headed? Evolution is a constantly occurring phenomenon that will continue to affect our species in increasingly fascinating ways. With vast advancements in technology, the perpetual movement of people around the globe and the clashing of cultures evolution will continue to occur in many ways than what we expect.

In terms of how humans are evolving today I would include probably one of the most fascinating topics that we covered in this course, genetic editing. This was mentioned in the article titled “Taming the New Frontiers in Gene Editing.” Genetic editing is described in the article as it states, “Using CRISPR-Cas9, scientists can ‘knock out,’ or disrupt, particular genes and then see what changes in the organism.” This seems like a concept only brought up in great sci-fi but in fact we have that power today. It is not as simple as migration or natural selection and how these affect evolution today, but it is just as fascinating. Real problems that could arise from this powerful technology would be how to regulate it. The article states “’I think there’s an ethical dilemma in making decisions that affect future generations,’ said Greely. On the other hand, he continued, ‘everything we do affects future generations.’” As much as I agree with this sentiment, I think the positives and the potential of this technology outweighs the negative effects. Overall, this technology is a very real and rapid way in which evolution is occurring in today’s society.

Another way in which evolution is occurring in today’s human beings is the cultural traditions that shape this evolution. A great example of how culture can impact our evolution was given in the lecture.  This example was the Amish and how they may limit the number of potential mates for their own offspring due to tradition. Think about it. This occurs in almost every culture across the world. There are limiting factors for all of us when it comes to who we end up mating and producing our offspring with. Whether these differences have to do with social status, or race they are clearly having a massive impact on the way we interact with one another and therefore how we produce our offspring. America is a great example of this, with the vast number of cultures and groups represented in our nation. It clear that culture impacts our evolution in a major way.

This course has taught me a lot about evolution but most importantly it showed me that the phenomenon of evolution is still occurring. We have learned about the way anthropologists look at the world and their methods to find out the way our ancestors used to live. We learned so much in this course while still under the umbrella of evolution and how we have and will continue to change.  In total, I think we have all learned a lot and appreciate the time an effort that was put into this course Thank you.