Blog Post 1

During the year of 1945, local water treatment facilities around the U.S. began adding sodium fluoride to the water supply. Depending on who you ask, there are many “pro’s” and “cons” of consuming fluoride. Calcium fluoride is found naturally in underground water sources. It can actually weaken bones and teeth rather than protect them. Sodium fluoride is much worse for your health than calcium fluoride. It was created as a synthetic waste byproduct from the aluminum, fertilizer, and nuclear industries; it also just happens to be in your toothpaste and water supply. Sodium fluoride is able to combine with other toxic materials and increase its potency, making it far more lethal. Fluoride has also been shown to weaken and damage the liver and kidneys, and immune system. The EPA also has it categorized as “too toxic for the environment.”

Not many people are aware that fluoride also allows calcium to build up around the pineal gland, which results in a calcified pineal gland.  Rene Descarte claimed he believed the pineal gland was “not only the minds third eye, but the seat for the soul.” There are many negative effects from having a severely calcified pineal gland. Once calcified, the pineal gland stops producing serotonin and melatonin as efficiently, or all together. Fluoride has also been shown to lower IQ.

Now, there are many people out there who swear by the benefits of fluoride for your teeth. Lots of these people happen to be dentists, or people who don’t believe all the negative effects of fluoride are true. In fact, the only positive claims I’ve been able to find are almost all directly related to dental health, and nothing more. An oral health page, Delta Dental, claims that “Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay by making the entire tooth surface more resistant to acid attacks from the bacteria that live in the plaque on your teeth.” The American Dental Association also claims that “fluoride in water is safe and it works.” In terms of preventing cavities and being used topically, fluoride appears to have some beneficial aspect. If you look at the history of how fluoride came to find a place in our water, one would question the authenticity and genuineness of this historical decision. Some would think it’s just another medical advancement, while others believe its another violation of human rights and well-being.

https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/about-fluoride.html

http://www.ada.org/en/public-programs/advocating-for-the-public/fluoride-and-fluoridation

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/epa-scientists-oppose-water-fluoridation/

If you’re interested in learning more about the effects of fluoride on the pineal gland and over all health, this Ted Talks with Alex Van Aken is extremely helpful and informative.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 1

1. When it comes to our children’s health and wellbeing, parents and the general public tend to be quick to react quickly to what is often misinformed or misrepresented research. When the 2014 medical journal “Lancent Neurology” published a study concluding fluoride found in toothpaste and our drinking water may impair brain development in children, parents were horrified (and rightly so) that their Doctor recommended toothpaste may in fact be harmful to their children’s brain development. The public outcry caused University of Berkley MD candidate Keing Lam to review the research of the Lancent Neurology journal to see just where they were getting their numbers.

According to Lam, the article presented old data from a 2012 systematic review that was largely based on “old data collected in China, where some rural areas of high concentrations of naturally according fluoride in their drinking water”. The levels involved in the study were not comparable to the levels of fluoride added to the US public water supplies back in 1945. And while the study did conclude “that children living in areas with the highest fluoride levels tended to have lower IQs than children who may have received less exposure”, it merely shows a correlation, but there is no measure of cause and effect.

The article by Lam goes on further to say “In contrast, there’s a strong body of well-designed studies that show fluoride improves dental health in kids as well as adults. That’s why a small amount of fluoride has been added to many communities’ public water supplies since the 1940s, during which time the incidence of tooth decay has dropped significantly”. It appears that Lam is suggesting the research supporting the dangers of fluoride in toothpaste and our drinking water may not be as accurate and informative as the research supporting its benefits.

Lam, Kenig. “Is Fluoride Safe?” 2014 – http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-community/environmental-health/article/fluoride-safe

2. I had been completely unaware of the controversy surrounding fluoride until a few years ago. I was shocked to learn that there actually could be negative affects from something I thought was safe and what I’m pretty sure is routine in dental exams in America; my dentist gave it to me at every appointment. I learned even more in the posts and articles I read from this blog too. One of the fist articles that came up when I searched “fluoride treatment” in Google was the WebMD web page. Although they warn that fluoride is dangerous at high doses, they also state that it is critical during the developmental years between six and sixteen. Even though it is true that fluoride can be harmful to people, especially under the age of six, if consumed too frequently, I also believe in the benefits it has in small doses. I stopped getting fluoride treatments at the dentist in 2011 because of the harmful affects I believed it had and don’t plan on getting them again but I do think it’s a good idea to have some.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/fluoride-treatment