Blog 4

The social identity of being homeless carries many burdens that can be seen as constructs for structural violence within the U.S. In the United States, society fails to provide the support and resources that would enable homeless people to become re-integrated within the community. The cause of homelessness is generally situational, spurring from health, financial, or mental disabilities and therefore the ability to rehabilitate the majority of homeless individuals is possible with the proper structural support from the community. The problem that arises is homeless people experience barriers due to the social outlook on them, as well as socioeconomic barriers that restrict them from changing this negative outlook. Finding employment is extremely difficult for homeless people because they are socially viewed as inept to work. Non proper work appearance as well as their lack of access to transportation are created by economic barriers, making the prospect of them getting hired unlikely. Without money homeless people can not afford proper shelter and food which in turn leads to them being exposed to disease, and thus further setting them back economically and socially. The lack of affordable housing can be seen as the main aspect of structural violence against the homelessness. The increasing high rent to income ratio, due to economical greed of construction companies, has lead to a lack of economical resources for low income families for quality food and medicine. This creates major economic shortcomings in times of medical emergencies that can often leave a family homeless. Once homeless the ability to succeed in the community decreases with remaining economic holdings. The United States needs to address the housing crisis in order to make these basic human needs accessible to the homeless community. With affordable housing many of the currently homeless people would be able to overcome the social barriers, that are holding them back from approaching the economic barriers, that restrict them from re-integration into the community.

References

Wagner. (2001). Structural Violence in Human Services Sector. Retrieved July 28, 2016, from http://u.osu.edu/christie/files/2014/10/Chapter-28-Empowerment-Based-Interventions-Webster-Perkins-qfwmj3.pdf

On homelessness and structural violence. (2016, February 22). Retrieved July 28, 2016, from https://jpenn17.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/on-homelessness-and-structural-violence/

One thought on “Blog 4

1. I performed research on social media where I asked my friends why they felt most homeless people were homeless and the results I received were mind-boggling. Many attributed homelessness to the reasons stated above. When I began to ask them questions in regards to people experiencing homelessness finding employment, they start to rethink their answers. Many do not consider the basic necessities needed to help someone out of homelessness. I appreciate your post because I feel if more people began to realize this, we could collectively work to end homelessness. While I do feel it is the government’s responsibility, I do not think it is solely their responsibility but rather a shared obligation of all people as people.