Week Five Blog Post

One environmental justice struggle is animals rights in farms. For meat and dairy, animals can be horribly abused and locked away in a tiny space. Pigs are locked away in a very crowded barn, female chickens get their beaks removed while male chickens go through a meat grinder while they are still alive, Calf are separated from their mothers as soon as they are born, and then male calf are chained up to make veal . Most meat, dairy, and egg brands practice cruel methods to cut costs and save as much money as they can without thinking of the health of animals. They also overuse antibiotics, which creates ‘superbugs’ like MRSA.

Cruelty-free products are defined as thinking of the animal’s happiness. Letting animals roam free in a pasture, use the least amount of antibiotics as possible, and providing higher quality food for the animals, among other things. I try to research as much as I can about which name brands come from cruelty-free sources. For example, I spend thirty minutes in a store debating on which milk I should have purchased. It sounds abnormal, but I asked myself if I deserved any dairy product when I couldn’t buy from a brand that was pasture raised. I settled on Prairie Farms milk, because after an intense Google session I found that they said that the milk is from local farms. But, they also stated that most cows are pasture-raised, but not all. This is still a vague answer for me, because there is a chance that I picked a two gallon of milk that came from cows that weren’t allowed to be raised in a pasture.

Despite how strongly I feel about this issue, my biggest struggle is my budget, versus my conscious. I am a low income college student, and I cannot spend more than a very strict amount of money a week on groceries. When I compare the prices of cruelty-free products to other products that have a history of animal abuse or provide very vague and uncertain answers about the quality of life they provide to their animals, cruelty-free products are much more expensive. I can’t condemn anyone because most people can’t afford these products. I am trying to think of animal products as a luxury, rather than a necessity.

Animal Cruelty Is the Price We Pay for Cheap Meat | Rolling Stone. (n.d.). Retrieved August 05, 2016, from http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/belly-beast-meat-factory-farms-animal-activists

Farmed Animals and the Law – Animal Legal Defense Fund. (n.d.). Retrieved August 05, 2016, from http://aldf.org/resources/advocating-for-animals/farmed-animals-and-the-law/

Organic Egg Scorecard – The Cornucopia Institute. (n.d.). Retrieved August 05, 2016, from http://www.cornucopia.org/organic-egg-scorecard/

Prairie Farms Dairy. (n.d.). Retrieved August 05, 2016, from http://www.prairiefarms.com/about-families-helping-families.aspx

Why Factory Farming Is a Broken System Where Extreme Animal Cruelty and Abuse Is the Norm. (n.d.). Retrieved August 05, 2016, from http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/factory-farming-animal-cruelty/

2 thoughts on “Week Five Blog Post

1. I’ve always had the philosophy that eating meat is just part of the circle of life because many animals eat other animals as well. What differentiates us humans from animals, however, is how we obtain the meat. The way that animals are treated in the food industry is something that has bothered me since I became aware of what big corporations were able to get away with. It is so unbelievable sad to know that animals raised for food can be treated so terribly for the short amount of time they’re allowed to live before being slaughtered and think that the struggle for their rights is completely justified. People who own and work for companies that produce animal products benefit the most from the cruel treatment because like you said it cuts their costs and the animals are obviously the victims, but what about humans? How good can the quality of these animal products being produced under these conditions be and what are the affects of consuming them on us? Someone else might argue, though, that the food industry and its ability to produce the animal products it does has allowed the country to grow to what it has and minimize hunger better than any other option.

2. I never really started thinking about where my food came from until I was shown videos of the food industry several years ago in college. After that it really got me thinking about food access and what is healthy for us to be eating. I really think that the food we are putting into our bodies that are pumped with chemicals and antibiotics is not fair or just, its deceitful. It is food that is hurting our bodies and making people fat and ill, however that food is the cheap stuff. There are many people who cant afford to eat organic and cage free and all of the other healthy alternatives because unfortunately those are the priciest things to buy which makes no sense. Many people do say though that these big business farms like the beef industry is something that is needed because so many people eat meat and it is also employing thousands and thousands of people. Personally, I do what you do and spend hours researching what is best for me because I feel like the price is worth it. But sadly not everyone can do that even if they wanted.