Jesus vs. Horus

This week I was browsing through the collective section of iFunny. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s an app for the iPhone that has funny pictures and memes and things of the sort, with the funniest being under “featured” and the rest in a pile called “collective” (I guess I’m really showing I’m a nerd in this post). But anyways, I happened to find a post that had a comparison between Jesus, yes, Jesus Christ/Jesus of Nazareth whichever floats your boat, and Horus, an Egyptian god/pharaoh/priest/chosen one/son of a god. Now, I’m Christian, and I hope that this post doesn’t offend anyone too deeply; I just thought that the similarities were too shocking to keep to myself, especially since the Jews spent quite some time in Egypt before claiming Jerusalem as the holy land. Furthermore, I know this seems like an odd place to find an archaeological related post, but I looked it up online after and found multiple articles and such also comparing them.

First and foremost, the post states how Jesus was roughly 2,000 years ago, right when BC ended, and Horus was roughly 5,000 years ago, so about 3000 BC. On the first line of the post, it shows that Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, where the story is presumed that God himself placed the baby in her womb, so that Jesus, the Son of God, would walk the earth. Likewise, Horus was born of the virgin Isis, also called Meri, who had “relations” (she is documented as a virgin) with the god Osiris. When Jesus was born it was said that an angel announced his birth, and that the wise men followed “a star in the East” to the site of his birth. An angel also announced Horus’ birth, and the wise men followed Sirius, the morning star (the sun rises in the east) to the site of his birth. Once born, Jesus’ mother Mary was told that she should take her son and flee to Egypt, where Horus and his mother hid after he was born. Moving a little farther down their life paths, both Jesus and Horus were baptized at the age of 30. Both had 12 disciples that followed them and spread their word/helped with their work. Jesus walked on water and performed miracles, such as raising Lazarus from the grave; it is said that Horus walked on water, had been known to perform miracles, and had raised his father (Osiris, also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew and El-Asarus in Latin) from the dead. Then, at the end of their lives, both were crucified, buried in tombs, only to be resurrected 3 days later. They were both in their time referred to as “the lamb of god, the bread of life” or other such names. I could really go on, but I’ll put a link to the article at the end so you can read it yourself.

Again, I’m a Christian myself, and I’m not writing the post or talking about this article to ruffle peoples feathers, I just thought it was amazing the similarities that were drawn from these two who were heavily revered in their respective religions.

The article I followed up with: http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6316

1 thought on “Jesus vs. Horus

1. I saw something similar to this a few years ago but you definitely have found a more concise source for it. I find it remarkable that ancient Egyptians and Christians have many disturbingly similar stories – almost too many to be coincidence. Add the fact that the Persians and Greek mythologies (or do we call them religions?) had startling similar stories definitely raises interesting questions. I should state, I do not intend any offense nor want to start a theological debate that would insinuate a religion to be false.
    A few years ago I watched a documentary on this subject but for the life of me couldn’t remember what it’s called (and googling such subjects leads you down the rabbit hole of conspiracy nuts).
    I do remember in this film they gave a reason for the recurring crucifixion and resurrection themes. Egyptians and other early religions were fascinated with the movement of the sun and the stars. One theory is that their deity, such as Ra, was the actual physical sun – the source of light and life. While December (the Roman’s tenth month) is an arbitrary construct imposed over the last 30 days of the year; solar cycles, on the other hand, are much more definitive. December 21st is midwinter, the shortest day of the year. As a sun worshiping society this is distressing. During midwinter, the sun “dies” in the part of the sky near the constellation of the Southern Cross. The god/sun appears to die on the cross. The days remain at their briefest until three days later when the sun is resurrected and the days begin to lengthen once more. Thus the sun is born into a new year of light right around December 25th. Ancient churches probably adapted customs and myths of previous religions to make conversion to their faith more compatible.
    Anyway, just an interesting theory