The Legend of the Stonehenge

Being one of the most famous sited in the world, I was very fascinated in the Stonehenge. scientists and historians are still unable to come to a solid theory of when, why, who and how the rock structures were built, however there have been many theories. Today scientists analyze these rocks using radiocarbon dating and other techniques. People reject the earlier stories of the Stonehenge.

The name Stonehenge is believed to be of Saxon Origin. Stonehenge is located on fairly flat land known as Salisbury Plain. Stonehenge is different fron many other of the stone circles in Western Britain because many of the stones are trimmed into rectilinear forms. Another interesting thing about Stonehenge is the sheer size of the stones. Some of these stones are among the largest ancient structures still standing in the British Isles. The circle of the stones lying on the outer circle of Stonehenge is calles “The Outer Sarsen Circle.” This circle is composed of 30 square upright stones make of Sarsen–a type of sandstone. Each stone is approximately 13 1/2 feet above the ground, and is about 7 feet wide and 3 3/4 feet thick. The Outer Bluestone Circle lies in the Sasen Circle and contains 60 Bluestone rocks, composed of igneous rock called Bluestone. Bluestone has a bluish coloring. The inner Sarsen Trilithons are arranged in a horseshoe shape and are composed of 5 independent Trilithons. The Inner Bluestone Circle is another horseshoe shaped and has 19 Bluestones. The Alter Stone is a big rectangular piece of gray sandstone. The Alter Stone is now snapped in two. The name “Alter Stone” refers to the theory that the Druids used the Stonehenge and a temple, and the large stone in the middle was the Alter.

During the Medieval era, Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote a book. This book was called ” The History of The Kings of Britain. The story began in Britain. New British King Vortigern has seized the throne. He met with the Saxon King Hengist because Saxons were a threat. At this meeting the Saxons murdered 460 British Lords. Vortigern was captured and released, then fled to Wales and built a tower on Mount Snowdon.Then Aurelius Ambrosius, the rightful Brisitsh King, burns Vortigern in his tower. Now there is a battle between Aurelius and The Saxons. British win. Aurelius decides to set up a memorial to the Mt. Amesbury Massacre. Aurelius is then told of a great stone structure located in Ireland. This was the structure of the Stonehenge. These stones were taken and set up at the massacre site in the exact same formation. Aurelius was supposedly buried there when he died, as well as Uther Pendragon who succeeded him.

1 thought on “The Legend of the Stonehenge

1. So I found that you discussed the link between Stonehenge and legend. Or more specifically, The Link between Stonehenge and Arturian Legend. I find this to be an interesting topic (partially because of pop culture), but also because I like to look at things from different perspectives. In this case, I’d like to look at the evolution of people’s perspective of Stonehenge.

Well, I guess Evolution isn’t really the right word, because it implies growth or change. A more accurate way or phrasing it would be that I would like to discuss two things about the perspective on Stonehenge: 1) How it hasn’t really changed and 2) how it’s become extremely diversified.

So the first thing you’ll notice is that people have always had roughly the same view of what it is. Even in the Medieval times, there was the thought it it was some magical thing of a nature beyond reality. Call it magical in nature, call it ancient civilization, or maybe even aliens. For whatever reason, it was thought of as something that was beyond us. And I’d like to think that the fact that since it’s been in people’s minds and been researched for so long, it helps kind of cement that established image.

The Second thing I’d like to briefly discuss is how the views on Stonehenge have actually expanded in variety over time. Although the dominant “pop culture” view is still the same, I think that it really comes down to the increased flow of information, but also that Archaeologists and Historians today have more resources then ever before.