And the winner is…

Over the course of this semester, we have talked about a lot of archaeological sites. Some of these sites are extremely well known to the common person, some not so much. These sites include Ancient Egypt, the Moundbuilders, cave paintings, Stonehenge, Ancient Africa, and Ancient South America. Out of all of these great places, my favorite has to be the cave paintings at sites such as Lascaux, Chauvet, and many more. Ever since I first learned about cave paintings when I was a small boy, I have been completely awestruck! I am “supposedly” more evolved than the hominids that painted in these caves 40,000 years ago, but they are much better artists than I am now! It is just so impressive to me that they not only had the artistic ability to make these detailed and accurate paintings, but the cognitive ability that went along with the symbolism and representation of real animals living at the time. Although I think that this is the most impressive thing that we have talked about, I do not think that it is the most important. I am not saying it is not important, because it absolutely is! These paintings are a window into the lives of these hominids 40,000 years ago. I think that the ancient ruins in Egypt are more important because not only do we have their art, but we have their architecture, their records, and so much more. In the public’s eye, there are very few people in the developed world that have not heard of Egypt, it’s pyramids, pharaohs, and all of its glory! Egypt was truly an empire and the reason I believe that it is more important than ruins in South America such as Uxmal, is because it has been so well preserved, rather than destroyed by imperialistic foreigners. I know that I have skipped over the Mississippian Moundbuilders, but to be honest, that was my least favorite discovery. I found their history very boring and I have a few theories as to why. I think it is mainly because I live in North America and Native Americans aren’t very exotic, especially compared to Egyptians! Regardless of what I think, all of these sites are very important for their own reasons and I feel fortunate to have learned about them in such great detail. At the end of the day, I am going to stick with the cave painters though! Sorry to everyone else, but I think it is impressive.