Under the Sea (Of Galilee)

Many great artifacts and pieces of history are hidden all over the earth but one of the most mysterious places known to man are the great bodies of water.  The different oceans and bodies of water have so much to discover because they cover so much of this earth.   Scientists in Israel learned this first hand when they happened upon a large unusual object on the bottom of the Sea of Galillee.  Scientists pretty much bumped into a large circular mound at the bottom of the ocean in 2003 but are now just coming out with the discovery.  It is discovered to be a cone made from basalt rocks that measures 230 feet wide and 32 feet tall.  It weighs around 60,000 tons and is twice as large as the stone circle at Stonehenge.  At first it was discovered using sonar and then it was further investigated with underwater dives.

There are pros and cons for the structure to be underwater.  Obviously it is more difficult and more expensive to get at which makes research more difficult.  It takes a lot more funding to drive a historical investigation with the site being submerged in water.  Even though it is more difficult to access, being underwater did help us to learn more about it.  With the site being underwater, it was not exposed to as much degradation and decomposition as it would if it was above land where there is oxygen.  Another perk for it being underwater is that archaeologists can find out more history about the sea itself.  This structure was believed to be built when this point was above ground so therefore it shows that the water level was once significantly lower than what it is today.

There is much discussion about who built this underwater structure and what was its purpose.  It is not sure if this was a religious structure, a burial ground, or even just a ramp.  There have also been some discrepancies about when this was built.  Using the amount of sand that has built up on the structure and in comparison with other structures around the region, it is believed to be around 2,000 and 12,000 years old.  Even though this is helpful, it is still as somewhat general estimation.  The one thing that is certain is the importance of this structure to the people that built it.  The rocks that it consists of come from hundreds of meters and one stone could weigh up to 200 pounds.  So this tells us that not only was this structure of great importance, but also the civilization that built this was advanced enough to have a particular system of building this structure.  With the large stones and harsh environmental conditions, building a monument like this was no easy task.   The scientists and archaeologists are still in the very early stages of investigation and more will be found out about this great underwater monument.

2 thoughts on “Under the Sea (Of Galilee)

1. As someone who always enjoys being on the water, I can really appreciate the artifacts being founded in your blog. Every time I am on my boat I wonder how much undiscovered information lies beneath me. Whether I am on a lake, ocean, or even a small pond, I wonder how much people have missed over the years. If there is more water than land here on this Earth, then why are we focusing most of our time on land? I understand that land may be easier to do so, however if we really wanted to learn more about our past, than why not try to learn as much as possible about it. If we could put more research into underwater studies, and ways to make the cheaper, we could start putting more time and effort into bigger discoveries. If this were to happen, then maybe we would actually discover huge mounds underwater, instead of bumping into them.

There is so much hidden information that will never been found out. However, we must be something so that we can find out as much information as possible. We did to lay out our problems such as: funding operations to go underwater, getting the necessary equipment for discoveries such as this one, and putting in the time and research to explain why the site is the way it is. I am excited for our future in discoveries, as I love hearing about more and more artifacts being found in huge bodies of water. I just hope the next discovery was a discovery they meant to find. Guess only time will tell what we will find next.

2. I think this post is really interesting because over the course of the semester we have primarily focused on archaeological discoveries on land. I myself wrote did my last blog on several archaeological discoveries, including the City of Alexandria. Determining information, gathering data, and analyzing all the information attained for an underwater site is drastically different than that of a land site. Although the overall structures and artifacts might be left undisturbed, therefore appear more well preserved, the water erodes the stone over long periods of time, any delicate artifacts such as paper are destroyed, and chemical levels used to determine age on land sites are non-existent. It is also much more difficult to access, requires extremely advanced and customized equipment, and takes a considerably longer amount of time to cultivate progress. The site you choose is interesting because all of these disadvantages are actually stimulating the curiosity of the structure at the bottom of Galilee. The change in water levels only expands the amount of territory modern day humans are constrained to access. While we have clearly made so much progress and discovery in the archaeology field, the amount of vast ground we have yet to cover underwater leaves much mystery in the world.