Bonus Blog-Chauvet Cave

Throughout the course of the semester, I found most sites to be interesting. Others I may have found less interesting because I had already learned about them before whereas ones I had not heard of were more exciting. I always knew that cave paintings were out there but I did not know the names of the caves or what made each of them unique. In my mind, I just pictured small, simple drawings of mammoths or deer. Little did I know of the ancient caves whose paintings were so beautiful and elaborate.

The most interesting site we talked about this semester would be Chauvet Cave. I enjoyed watching the movie, partially because the narrator had such a cool accent and also because I had never heard of the cave before. How they discovered the cave was interesting to me as well. They had to spend lots of time and effort venturing over the landscape just in the hopes of finding something. They had no guarantee of finding anything but they went for it anyways. It shows true dedication to their job and to benefit the scientific and rest of the world. Once they did find it, they crawled into the unknown of a dark, deep cave. In the movie, it showed them having to be lowered several feet into the cave. Personally, I could never do that and applaud their courage. Chauvet is a great example of the social culture of the peoples who lived tens of thousands of years ago in Europe. Not only did they paint the figures of the wildlife around them, they used the contours of the cave to make the images come alive in the light of a torch. This takes vision beyond what you see in front of you, creativity that many of our society do not even possess. The preservation of the cave interested me as well. They described it looking as if the paintings were drawn recently. I feel that this sets this site apart from others. With the Egyptian pyramids and the Mayan temples, it is easy to tell that they are thousands of years old. Looking at these paintings transports you back to the time they were created and the landscape and surroundings the artists were living in. Chauvet Cave, or “The Cave of Forgotten Dreams”, was one of the sites we learned about this semester that I found most interesting. The beauty and elaborateness of the cave speaks for itself.