Week 3

I find many of the earlier rock paintings to incredibly interesting to look at and believe they are true pieces of artwork. They may not be as famous as some of Da Vinci’s paintings, but there are as many theories about them as the Mona Lisa. Nobody is sure why they were painted, but I believe they were used to mark gathering locations. The purpose for gathering was probably for many reasons, like preparing to go on a hunt or to perform initiation rituals. If you think about it, many of the places where modern humans gather today have artwork or pictures. When you enter a church, often you will find religious painting and statues of saints. Corporate conference rooms have company pictures on the wall and Michigan State’s student Union has several murals in the main lobby.

When I see the cave paintings at Lascaux, I can’t help but wonder what the artists’ message was. Where they trying to tell a story? Or were they giving some sort of message to hunters? We may never know, but the drawings themselves are fascinating to look at and the artists who drew them did so with an incredible amount of accuracy. I cannot even draw that well.

The Venus Figurines are very bizarre to look at. They look more like blobs than figures of women and were not sculpted with the same skill and accuracy as Michelangelo’s David. However, the theory that they were a tool for pregnant woman makes more sense than being associated with ideas of fertility. My opinion is if they could draw cave art with such precision, then they should have been able to do the same with the figurines. The Venus of Brassempouy confirms this because the woman’s face and head are accurately carved into the figurine. Since most figurines have a distorted female anatomy, it was probably used by pregnant women to compare them to the figurine as if they were looking downwards at their body.