Week 5 – Atlantis

Archaeologists have made discoveries all over the globe that they claim could be the lost city of Atlantis.  One of these claims comes from off-shore Cuba.  This discovery sits 600 feet underwater in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle.  According to scientists, toward the end of the last Ice Age, the sea level was 400 feet lower than it is today.  They point out that this could be the reason this lost city is so far submerged, as well as the fact that the land in the Caribbean has been sinking.  Apparently, the philosopher Plato had written about the lost city and its destruction correlates with exactly what happened here in Cuba.  Two scientists, Paul Weinzweig and Pauline Zalitzki have done research on this site using underwater robots to explore.  They have found giant pyramids and sphinxes that make the ones of Egypt look small.  An ancient language similar to Egyptian hieroglyphics was also discovered carved into stone (http://www.riseearth.com/2012/10/atlantis-found-giant-sphinxes-pyramids.html.)

Although I think this discovery is really incredible, I am skeptical that it really is this “Lost City of Atlantis.”  All the scientists have to go off of it that fact that it is submerged under water.  Yes, it is an incredible city that they have found, but I find it hard to believe that Plato, who lived thousands of miles away could have known about this city off the coast of Cuba.

Another discovery of this nature was found in the marshland on the coast of southern Spain.  Using deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and other technology, archaeologists discovered a pattern underground that isn’t a natural phenomenon.  They guessed that it may be Atlantis.  Support of this claim stems from the discovery of memorial sites in the surrounding around.  Professor Richard Fruend believes these sites were created by the survivors of the destruction in honor of their city.  Also, according to the writings of Plato, this location perfectly sits within the area he described and had to have been wiped out by earthquakes and flooding (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/lost-city-atlantis-found-marshlands-southern-spain-researchers-claim-article-1.123889.)

I agree that this location of Atlantis is slightly more convincing than the one near Cuba, but I still do not agree that the lost city of Atlantis has been found.  I am not sure if it is very plausible, but I think without further exploration of these marshes, it would be difficult to claim anything too extreme like this.  Honestly, I think it would be hard to prove Atlantis was ever found.  All there is to go off of is a philosopher’s speculation about a time period 9,000 years prior to his life.