The How and Why of Studying the Past
Week 1 | Lectures:
- Lecture 1: Archaeology and Great Discoveries [watch]
- Lecture 2: What do Archaeologists Find? [watch]
- Lecture 3: Time Team America [watch]
Week 1 | Videos:
- Video: Time Team America Field School Videos 1-4, 7-11
Week 1 | Web page assignment
Visit the Alabama Archaeology website’s section on Excavation Methods (note that there are 7 pages) at:
You will use what you learn from this website to do the week 1 assessment along with the lectures and Time Team America videos.
- Do you have any experience in Archaeology?
- Why did you take this class?
- Did you see any of the movies mentioned in the videos?
- What did you think of the movies if you did see them?
- Do you think education would help the public understand archaeology?
Week 1 | Weekly Assessment
- Assessment 1: Please write a two page (minimum) essay (single space, Times New Roman 12 pt font ONLY) that outlines, from start to finish, how you would go about digging a square hole, remove and document any artifacts or features that you would find, and give me an idea of what you think archaeologists learn from digging your particular square hole based on the materials recovered and the features that you identify. For the purpose of the assignment, write the essay as a story that outlines how you 1) found the site using techniques outlined in the Time Team America videos and Alabama Archaeology web page, 2) how you go about excavating your particular square hole (among how many other square holes you think need to be excavated at the site), and 3) provide some initial ideas about what it is that you believe you have found at the site.
- This assessment is due by Sunday, July 7th at 11:59 PM in a dropbox on ANGEL. You will need to use a Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, Wordperfect, Microsoft Works, OpenOffice (free opensource) format to submit the essay. The dropbox will be available for submissions on Friday, July 5th.