August 12, 2018 Announcements:
1. Your final project blogs are due tonight by 11:59pm!!
2. This is the final week of class. That means that the CLASS ENDS THIS THURSDAY AUGUST 16th. I cannot accept any materials after this Thursday at 11:59 pm.
Here is this week’s schedule:
- Week 7 Quiz- Opens from Monday August 13th 8:00 am closes on Thursday August 16th at 11:59 pm
- Week 7 Blog Post is due Wednesday August 15th 5:00 pm
- Week 7 response is due Thursday August 16th at 11:59 pm
- Final Reflection post is due Thursday August 16th at 11:59 pm
- Honors Essays are Due Thursday August 16th at 11:59pm
3. *Remember to complete your sirs forms here -> https://sirsonline.msu.edu *
‘Students are required to complete the SIRS Online form OR indicate within that form that they decline to participate. Otherwise, final grades (for courses using SIRS Online) will be sequestered for seven days following the course grade submission deadline for this semester.’
August 6, 2018 Announcement:
Hello ANP 264!
Your final project blog post are due THIS SUNDAY! I have posted the requirements for the assignment for your review:
Archaeology in Practice (3 posts, 6 points each) – In the beginning of the semester, students will be expected to identify one archaeological topic and use at least three separate sources to write 3 expository posts (just the facts!) on their topic. Through following a topic across multiple sources, students will learn how to identify how to focus on a key topic and incorporate multiple lines of discussion into one cohesive story. The goal of this assignment is to expose students to how archaeologists discuss their topics within a variety of settings and provide students with the experience of reporting on such topics. Additional assignment guidelines:
- Each post must be at least 500 words long but not exceed 600 words.
- You can pick any topic from this course or any anthropology or archaeology course you have had in the past. Use this opportunity to explore just how archaeologists identify and analyze sites, artifacts, and/or concepts. If you wish, you can focus on a methodological problem such as ‘survey strategies’ or ‘historical documentation’; theoretical topics such as ‘rise of civilization’ or development of agriculture, or technological/digital topics such as the use of GIS or LiDar. Whichever topic you choose, be sure to stick to one topic for all three post!
- You must use three different kinds of sources for the assignment. Sources may include the following:
– A social media source
– Publication like an academic journal or book
– Museum exhibit
– Professional archaeology organization website
– Public lectures
– Popular science magazines
- Choose 3 of above sources (for example, if you choose to follow a Twitter hashtag you cannot also include a Tumblr page).
- Please let me know if you have any concerns or questions about the sources. Also, while I am sure that you could come up with some interesting additional sources, stick within these parameters for this assignment. These is enough variety and activity in this list of sources to meet the goals of the assignment.
- You can discuss each source separately or integrate them within your 3 separate blog posts.
- Post all 3 blog post to the CLASSBLOG page under the Archaeology in Practice category by SUNDAY AUGUST 12 with NO EXCEPTIONS!!
- Use the standard post title format that you have used for your weekly blogs.
- There are no individual due dates so you can do these posts at once or over the course of the semester. However you decide, all three posts must be submitted to the Archaeology in Practice category by 11:59pm Sunday August 12.
- No partial credit will be given. All three posts must be submitted by the deadline to receive credit.
- If you have any questions or concerns about meeting this due date please contact me ASAP.
THURSDAY July 12th Announcement!
*Extra Credit Opportunity*
Next Wednesday (July 18th) is #AskAnArchaeologist Day on Twitter. Ask 4 thoughtful questions using the #AskAnArchaeologist and #Anp264US18 hashtags and receive 1 extra credit point on your final grade!
Send me a screenshot of your tweets or post the screenshots to the class blog next week. Feel free to include the @ArchaeologyMSU handle if it fits!
Welcome to the ANP 264 Announcements page!
- Check here daily for any updates regarding the course. If there are any content, grading, or schedule changes I will post them here first.
- Please browse the About, Grading/Assessments, and Contact pages for information regarding the course. This content will be on your Introductory Quiz found on D2L.
- The Weekly Schedule pages will open up on Monday at 8:00 am of the listed week. Therefore you will have to access the course website weekly in order to complete the assignments. Let me know as soon as possible if you have any potential conflicts.