Week 5 Blog Post – Caitlyn Jenner – Zeinab Mroue

For this weeks’ blog post, I have decided to write about Caitlyn Jenner. Mainly because of how interesting I find all of this, and because I have been consistently following interviews, and cover stories and so on and so forth that have anything to do with her. I think that what she has been doing is amazing and that it is important for people of the transgender community to see someone who is so heavily in the spotlight, to be going through the same struggles (to an extent) as they are, to have someone be so open about their transition and get so much positive feedback about it.

I think that gender identity is, especially today, is a topic that is in some cases very sensitive to talk about it. I don’t necessarily think that its a good idea to keep such an important issue as down low as it has been kept in the past. In regards to gender identity, I also think that it’s somewhat of a hard subject for many people to understand, or relate to. Gender and sex are two completely different things, where as sex is biological and gender is more of a psychological and sociocultural than it is biological. There are so many different hints that are gendered in society especially in what babies wear and the things they have. For example, baby boys are usually dressed in blue clothes and have blue rooms and blue belongings, to differentiate from their counterpart, baby girls, who are associated with the color pink. I think it’s kind of ridiculous that we live in such a gendered society to be honest, I think that people should do whatever they want and buy, wear, etc. whatever they want based on the sole fact of if they like it or not. Of course not all of this is related to material things, they’re are a multitude of problems regarding gender roles and stereotypes. All of these things have aided in constructing ho we think about gender and gender roles. One good thing that is happening as society is progressing, is that all of these stereotypes are being challenged and being are being brought into question on how things should be performed.

After reading the article by Elinor Burkett, I found that a lot of what she was saying, and how she explained her reasoning for things, was very interesting. Especially the part where opens the body of the story quoting Jenner when she says in her Dianne Sawyer interview “My brain is much more female than it is male”, and the part after is when she challenges that idea. She is basically saying throughout the entire article that a woman’s identity and struggles are still slightly different than a trans woman’s experiences. Stating that stereotypes that women have been fighting against and trying to break for so long, are being used as the picture of what it is to be a woman. To be more in tune with their emotions both physically and mentally. Further into the article, it explains that you can’t just pick up brains and pick and choose that this is a girl brain and that another would be a boy brain, and that the differences between the two are created and further caused by gendered environments. I still think that going through that transition and having to deal with all of the struggles and hardships is still worth mentioning. But I can appreciate and definitely see where she is coming from in her article. Kind of giving a little bit of a reality check, and still calling out problems that need to be called out. While trying to figure out an answer to whether I think that people have to identify with their race or gender in regards to social construct, I had a hard time thinking of an answer. I’m a little split on the issue, I don’t think that people need to accept societies definition of gender, and that they can choose on what they want to identify as. But I think that it’s a far stretch to be able to choose which race you want to be a part of, mainly because you can NOT fully understand events of discrimination, and brutality and racism and a horrifying history of slavery, when you have not gone through it or have not had family members go through it.

Burkett, Elinor. “What Makes a Woman?” The New York Times. The New York Times, 6 June 2015. Web. 8 Aug. 2015.