WP 7 Activity – Sarah Skoropa

In this class, I learned a great deal about the different medical systems, and how they view medicine, the body, the mind, and the spirit.  I also really enjoyed learning more about the biomedical system from an anthropological viewpoint.  It has really helped me examine how the role biomedicine has played and continues to play, in my life, and I feel I have a better grasp on understanding that biomedicine is not the only option out there, and it is not necessarily always the best either.  I enjoyed the lectures, it was very nice to have recorded lectures with PowerPoints in an online class, something that was a first for me.  I really enjoyed reading my classmates posts, it gave me an understanding of many different perspectives.  It was also really great to get comments and feedback from them on my own posts, and it helped me question my assumptions and grow in my depth of thinking.

In the future, it would be very nice to have a syllabus, as I found it extremely stressful to not know what the week was going to look like, until 5 days before it was all due.  It also would have been nice to have one central location to find all the information like, course outline, due dates, contact information and so on.  I also struggled with the amount of reading, given that we were only allowed 5 days to complete it, and do the writing posts, which it would have been nice if the posts were more connected to the readings, and did not always require additional readings.