Week 6: New Bodies, New Selves: Women’s Embodied Experiences of Culture
- Lecture: 6.1. The “Ideal” Feminine Body: Chinese footbinding, female genital cutting, and female genital plastic surgery (20 minutes)
- Lecture: 6.2. Laws are culture, too! (10 minutes)
- PDF: 6.1. See, Lisa. Chapter 1 – “Footbinding” In Snow Flower and the Fan
Female Genital Cutting:
- PDF: 6.2 Newland, Lynda. “Female circumcision: Muslim identities and zero tolerance policies in rural West Java”
- PDF: 6.3 Ahmadu, Fuambai. “‘Ain’t I a Woman Too?’ Challenging Myths of Sexual Dysfunction in Circumcised Women”
Female genital plastic surgery:
- Film: 6.1. Leach, Heather “The Perfect Vagina” (58min)
**Optional, but recommended readings:
- PDF: 6.4. Doneles de Andrade, Daniela. “On norms and bodies: findings from field research on cosmetic surgery in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil”
- PDF: 6.5. Braun, Virginia. “In Search of (Better) Sexual Pleasure: Female Genital ‘Cosmetic’ Surgery”
- Link: 6.1. Rodrigues, Sara “From vaginal exception to exceptional vagina: The biopolitics of female genital cosmetic surgery”
- Link: 6.2. Newspaper article. Ahmadu, Fuambai Sia. “Defending FGM”
- Week Six Activity (500-700 Words):
For this activity, please read up on the concept of the “social determinants of health” and then identify and describe a social determinant of health that affect the people in the country you have selected suffering the health problem you wish to write about. Many of you have identified different determinants already in your activity writings, so I recommend going back over your old writings and identifying one of the more pertinent determinants to write about.
I have provided three articles above to get you started. Use Google Scholar and the MSU Library’s Electronic Resources to find at least two more academic articles as support on your chosen determinant.
- Activity PDF 6.1: Marmot (2005) – “Social determinants of Health Inqualities”
- Activity PDF 6.2: Mackenbach (2014) – “Political Determinants of Health”
- Activity PDF 6.3 WHO (2003) – “Social Determinants of Health: The Solid Facts”
- Blog post: 700-900 words: Please think about the way culture impacts definitions of feminine beauty. How do these practices (Chinese footbinding, female genital cutting, and plastic surgery) FUNCTION in the societies where they are practiced, according to these readings and video? In other words, what are these practices connected to? If any of these practices were outlawed abruptly, what would happen to the lives of these women? In your blog post, please identify the theoretical perspectives of the authors and filmmaker.
- Blog comment: Comment on another class member’s blog post. Aim for a comment that is between 150-200 words.