Caudill_Joshua_Activity_Post_Jamaica

The country that I have chosen to write about for the duration of this course is Jamaica. I find the country quite interesting, but to be completely honest, I chose the country because I went to a Sandals resort and ever since I have been wanting to learn more about the country. Anyways, according to the Unicef’s Country Statistics page, a variety of facts and relationships have been identified in accordance with demographics, economics, women, education, progress, disparities, health and nutrition.

To start, according to Unicef (2013), Jamaica has a population slightly under 3 million. Out of this population, roughly one third of the population is under eighteen. Moreover, roughly half of the population is urbanized. Life expectancy has slightly increased overtime, but population growth has decreased overtime. The country has progressed quite a bit. To start, Jamaica has had a exponential decrease in mortality rate (under 5) since 1970. That being said, Jamaica’s fertility rate has decreased since this time

Economically, Unicef (2013) has shown that the United States dollar is worth quite a bit more than the Jamaican dollar. It did make sense to see that the majority of the population was relatively poor, but I was very shocked to see that there was more public money put into education than in health and military together.

Unicef (2013) also emphasizes how women in Jamaica have a higher life expectancy, adult literacy rate and overall survival rate. Approximately ¾ of the population utilize some sort of contraception, and for those who become pregnant, most of them had been assisted during pregnancy. It was very nice to see that education enrollment was approximately split right down the middle between Jamaican men and women. I was surprised to see that maternal mortality still exist enough to not be negligible. However, the statistics are not backed up with delivery or antenatal care.

Education was also highlighted by Unicef. The majority of the youth is literate and the majority of the population utilizes mobile phones. Because of the phone use, I was surprised to see that less than half of the population did not have utilize internet. In terms of school, Unicef (2013) shows that the majority of the population participate in primary school, but slightly less participate in secondary school. These trends are similar for both males and females.

There were also disparities by residence as well as disparities by household wealth; however, a lot of information was not tracked in neither. This was very surprising to me given additional information that was given. In terms of residence disparities shown by Unicef (2013), rural and urban statistics seem to be split down the middle. In accordance with household wealth disparities shown by Unicef (2013),  all the statistics were also split down the middle between the rich and the poor.

Reference(s)

Statistics. (2013, December 27). Retrieved from https://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/jamaica_statistics.html#116