Activity Post – Ireland

The country I chose to do my research on this semester is Ireland. Based on the cultural heritage of my family, I have always felt a connection to the people of Ireland and I wanted to learn more about them. There were a multitude of statistics that I was able to find on the UNICEF website, however I was unable to find any statistics on disparities by household wealth. Some demographic indicators are that the population of Ireland as of 2012 was approximately 4,575,900 people with a growth rate for 2012-2030 of 0.9 percent. The urbanized population being only 62.5 percent with a growth rate for 2012-2030 being 1.4 percent. The crude death rate for Ireland in 2012 was 6.4 percent with a crude birth rate of 15.6 percent. The life expectancy at birth is approximately 80.5 years.

Understanding a nation’s economy is an important component of understanding the experiences of its citizens, as well as the overall wealth of the country. Economic indicators for Ireland were that the gross national income (GNI) per capita as of 2012 was $38,970. The gross domestic product (GDP) as of 2012 was $35,110 with a growth rate from 1990-2012 being 0.7 percent. The annual inflation rate from 1990-2012 was 0.8 percent. The share of household income from 2007-2011 for the poorest 40 percent was 19 percent, and for the richest 20 percent was 42 percent.

Some of the more interesting statistics that I found were the statistics that involved women. I found it interesting that they measured females in a number of categories as, “as percent of males.” For example, the life expectancy of females as percent of males in 2012 was 105.6 percent, which means that most females out live males in Ireland. Another interesting statistic is that contraceptive prevalence in Ireland is 64.8 percent which in comparison to the United States, whose contraceptive prevalence is 78.6, is low. However, the rate for delivery of child by either a skilled attendant or in an institution were both 100 percent. The rate for c-sections is 24.6 percent is which is much lower than the United States rate of 31.1. The antenatal care rate as of 2012 was 99.5 percent. The maternal mortality ratio, 2010, lifetime risk of maternal death in Ireland is 1 in 8100 which is much better than the United States risk of 1 in every 2400.

Gender was also an important variable used for comparison when measuring education. The measurement of females as percent of males was also used to report school enrollment. The enrollment for females as percent of males in primary school in 2012 was 99.7 percent. However, secondary education enrollment for females as percent of males was 103.3 percent, which means that more females than males enroll in secondary school. The only disparities of residence that were available were that of the improved sanitation in 2010, the urban was 99.6 present, the rural was 97.9 percent, with ratio to urban of 1 percent.

References:

“Statistics.” UNICEF, 27 Dec. 2013, www.unicef.org/infobycountry/ireland_statistics.html.

“Statistics.” UNICEF, 31 Dec. 2013, www.unicef.org/infobycountry/usa_statistics.html.