A first-hand medical event I had to face was when I first started having chronic headaches. I remember I woke up one morning and I had an extreme migraine. I could not stand without losing complete balance and almost falling over, loud noises were extremely painful, my whole head ached and I could feel a stabbing pain behind my eyes, and even opening my eyes to look around made my eyes water and burn. I ended up calling  my mom who had been at work because I was in so much pain and she told me to just take an Advil and if I was still in pain when she got home, we would go to the doctor.

When my mom got home, she took me to an urgent care place all the way in Ann Arbor, which was an hour out from our home. When I got there I had to sit around and wait to be called for over 30 minutes. When I was finally taken to a room, a nurse came in and did all the basic stuff for when you’re firs admitted, but from there it was another hour or so before I even saw a doctor. They put me through an MRI and put me on an IV drip with pain medicine. The doctors end conclusion was that they couldn’t find anything wrong with me, and recommended that I go to my normal pediatrician to be suggested to a neurologist.

From there, my mom took me home and had a pediatrics appointment scheduled for the next morning. When I went to see my normal pediatrician, he put me through all the basics that he could to prep me for my visit to see a neurologist he recommended.  My mom kept mentioning how I looked different to my doctor. Eventually my doctor noticed that I had a slight droop to the left side of my face. The droop was Bell’s Palsy and was attributed to the severe pain my head had been in. My muscles in my face had temporarily stuck in a droop.  This forced my doctor to set me up with an immediate visit to a specialist.

I then had to wait another full day to go to a neurologist. Unfortunately, the neurologist couldn’t find out what was wrong with me. He said it could have been any form of hormonal changes, environmental factors, etc, that could have caused the migraine. He did however not that I would likely have this migraines on and off again for the rest of my life.

In the end, I faced a lot of negatives and not a lot of positives. I noticed how difficult it could be for doctors to notice my facial droop because they don’t know their patients personally. This issue can be seen all across bio-medicine in larger establishments such as hospitals. The positive that was present was that because I have had the same doctor since my premature birth, he could notice things that an ER or hospital doctor would not, he was also aware of my health progress over a longer period of time so was aware of my normal health conditions. Another negative was that because our brain is still being largely studied and explored, I have chronic migraines and have no idea what causes them.