Week 1 Activity Post- South Africa

South Africa is the country of interest that I would like to learn more about for this class and hopefully one day be able to visit. South Africa is seen as a destination spot for many due to the diverse cultures and topography that make up the country. There are actually three different cities that serve as capital: Pretoria, Cape Town, and Bloemfontein, with the largest city in the country being Johannesburg.  South Africa is aptly named as it is the southern most part of Africa with a population of more than 55 million people. The crude death rate at about 13 per 1000 is lower than the crude birth rate at 21 per 1000, which shows growth in the population. Women have a longer life expectancy at birth than men, 67 and 60 respectively, which is a little lower than I would have thought.

In the population, about 14 percent of people are living below the international poverty line, defined in the statistics as earning less than $1.25 a day. Public spending as part of the GDP for health seems a little low at about 4 percent while spending on education is higher at about 6 percent. Along with have a higher life expectancy rate than men , women also have high adult literacy rates. I found it somewhat surprising that the underweight prevalence in children under 5 was a little higher in urban areas at 10 percent than in rural areas at 9 percent.  Since these numbers are pretty close, however, it is possible that they fluctuate and are about the same regardless of which area they reside in. While this data is not completely available or completely up to date, I believe that the data given has probably not shifted much.