Langston Week 1 Blog Post

When I think of a “first-hand medical experience”, I think of when I had to get stitches in my knee after a bus accident.

It was a normal day on my way back to my house from class. I was on the CATA bus (number 10) and I was on my phone playing on Facebook and listening to music on my headphones. As we approach the intersection of North Pennsylvania Ave and East Oakland Ave, we feel the impact of something striking the bus and then the bus driver loses control of the bus and we spin out into a used car lot. Since I was not paying attention to what was happening around me before we got stuck, I was not sure what happened or even how it happened but after further investigation on the police’s part, it was seen that that bus had the right away (we had a green light going down Pennsylvania and the people on East Oakland had a red light. Well, there was a truck with two teenagers (a boy and a girl) who were traveling down Oakland at about 55 or so MPH when the speed limit was only 35. They ran the red light in their truck and struck the bus.

After coming to, I realized I had flown across the bus and injured my knee and there was glass everywhere, some of which embedded itself in the side of my right hand. My backpack and phone were also thrown across the bus and my headphones must have flown out of my ear because they were nowhere to be found. After everyone came to, the police were dispatched as well as a few ambulances. Because there were more than 10 of us on the bus, a few ambulances showed up, but not everyone needed to be treated. There was only limited space and ambulances because one was also dispatched to take care of the two teenagers in the truck that struck the bus.

There ended up being someone with a broken leg, a man with a severe head injury, and a couple more people injured as well as myself with my knee ripped open and bleeding. After talking with the police officer,s I decided not to ride in the ambulance (partly because of how expensive it would be to do so) and I called my best friend’s boyfriend to come to get me and take me to the hospital. It was really hard for me to walk and I was in so much pain but after I walked to his car we took the trip to the hospital.

He dropped me off and I checked myself into the emergency room at Sparrow Hospital. Because my injuries were assessed and were not as serious as other people’s injuries from the crash, I waited to see a doctor for 3 long hours. While I waited for the grueling 3 hours to be seen, my dad and sister showed to take care of me. When I was finally seen, they took me up for a scan to make sure nothing was broken and they stitched me up (only 5 stitches) and sent me on my way. When I was getting stitches, I told them I thought the glass was in my hand and they looked and they didn’t see anything. I had to come back a second time for them to try to get the glass ut (scrape away at my hand) and after the second time, my hand felt free of glass. I still have knee pain, and probably always will, but that day really made me see the medical field differently.

I mean the positives of that visit to the emergency room were that once they finally saw me, I was out in a jiffy. They treated me well and made me feel right at home. There just happens to be, though, a lot more negatives than positives. I mean I know the people who have the most severe injuries go first, but there is no reason I should have had to wait 3 hours to be seen for literally like 15 minutes. To me, it is a waste of time and space in the hospital. Second off, I think that them dismissing the glass in my hand the first time was despicable. Once I said I felt like there was glass embedded in my hand, even if it was microscopic, someone should have assessed it more closely and scraped at it. Third, I understand it is the patient chose to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance, but I personally do not think patients should be given the choice. What is something more severe was wrong with me and on the way to the hospital in my best friend’s boyfriend’s car something happened to me. They should have done more to have made me ride in the ambulance in case something else was wrong. And lastly, and I know we all think it, the price of being seen by doctors is WAY to high. Most people in America would rather suffer through excruciating pain than go to the emergency room to deal with it because they know it costs so much, even with insurance. ur medical care in America needs to change, not only in price, but also in quality, quantity, and when it comes to patient care. This experience really made me see hospitals in a different light. I mean I would rather go to the Olin Health Center for something serious than someplace like Sparrow Hospital. I get out faster and they assess everything that is wrong when I tell them whats wrong instead of waiting and making me have to come back later to take care of it.

One thought on “Langston Week 1 Blog Post

1. Hey Langston!

This is the craziest experience I’ve ever heard! Im so glad you need up okay. It took that long to see a doctor? Were you bleeding out until the showed up? Did you suffer any head injury? It’s so strange that they didn’t believe you had glass in your hand the first time. Seems like the beginning of that doctor-patient relationship wasn’t built on trust.

And yeah, ambulances are very expensive and I heard that getting lights and sirens on your way to the hospital will be more expensive than lets say, just lights. I never realized getting in the ambulance was a choice, but is it for ALL patients? Is does it depend on severity of the injury? Money is a huge factor.

You made and interesting point about the health center heres the hospital. I wonder if people feel that way out of East Lansing. Its interesting because the inside of Sparrow looks nice, but many people I know agree with you about its bad service. The medical system does need changing, and I’m sorry that you had that experience. Forbid you get hurt again but, would you ever give a hospital another chance?