Week 1 Activity Post

The country that I picked to study for this course is Peru. Peru is located in western South America and is bordered by Brazil on the east, and Ecuador in the north, and to the west is the Pacific Ocean. In 2012, the population of Peru was 29,987,000, with the life expectancy being 74.5 years. I always thought of Peru to be a great thriving country, so I was kind of shocked to see their life expectancy rate to be around 75 years in 2012. Compared to what we see in America, 75 seems young! The life expectancy did increase drastically, as it was 53.5 years in 1970. Their population really seems to be growing, since their annual births are around 600,000 per year in 2012. What is really interesting to me is that the primary school enrollment is 97.1%, but the adult literacy rate, which is people ages 15+ being able to read and write, is only at 89.6%.

Economically, Peru doesn’t seem to be doing as bad as some other nearby countries. Only 4.9% of their population live below the international poverty line of $1.25 US dollars per day. 2.7% of their public spending is dedicated to health, 2.6% is dedicated to education, and 1.2% is dedicated to military spending. Peru also has a debt of 5.9% that goes towards exports of goods and services. What is surprising to me is that between 1990 and 2012, their average annual rate of inflation was 9.2%, and that seems super high.

In terms of health, I find it fascinating that in 2012, 100% of routine EPI vaccines were financed by the government, and that their immunization coverages are between 99% and 95%, with the lowest being the percent of newborns protected against tetanus, which is at 85%. Use of improved drinking water sources in 2011 was at 85.3%, which is a little surprising to me given the biodiversity of the country itself, being surrounded by such rich environments like the mountains, Amazon rainforest and the Pacific Ocean. Their adult HIV prevalence in 2012 was at 0.4%, which is great! It is also interesting that prevention of HIV among young females between 2008-2012 was 18.7%, but they have no statistics on young males and their prevention for HIV.

It seems as if both males and females equally participate in school. The males had a 106.1% enrollment ratio between 2008-2012, and the females had 105.4%. In terms of women alone, their life expectancy as a percent of males in 2012 was 107.5% The contraceptive prevalence between 2008-2012 was 75.5%, and the percent of births that occurred before age 18 were 14.5%. I think it’s interesting that the total child labor percent between 2002-2012 was 33.5%. Even with a population this big, it’s still a little uneasy that 33.5% of children are forced (literally and/or figuratively) to work. A little fun fact is that in 2012, 98.8 per 100 people had mobile phones, but only 38.2 per 100 people were internet users.

2 thoughts on “Week 1 Activity Post

• The life expectancy in the United States was around 78 years of age in 2015. I guess the lifespan in Peru just seemed a little low to me, as does the United States, because I constantly see people well over the age of 75-78 years of age, especially in my line of work. I used to work at an assisted living center, where everyone was over 90, and even at Sparrow Hospital, a lot of my patients are over 78 as well. I feel as if these days, people seem to live a lot longer than what the average life expectancy is saying.