Week 1 Activity Post

Haiti has suffered many natural disasters, such as the earthquake in 2010, and hurricane Matthew in 2016 and still has a ways to go in order to rebuild. With a population a little over 10,000, Haiti remains the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Population is only growing 1.2% from now until 2030. Possibly due to the massive cholera outbreak of 2010, the birth rate decreased from  39 in 1970, to 26 in 2012 according to UNICEF.

The economic indicators, strongly supports the lack of health, education and nutritional resources Haiti’s population has to survive. The 2016 hurricane caused damaged equalling to 39% GPD destroying  one third of hospitals and over 500 schools.  UNICEF reports that 62% of the population lives below the international poverty live on $1.25 a day! I know USD is worth more therefore I couldn’t imagine what little they’d be able to afford, what jobs are actually available. Their GDP rate per capita  is -0.9. Efforts have been made to help Haiti’s recovery from the earthquake however. Official development assistance offered 1,712.4 million USD to aid the country.

The women in the country, seem to be trying to take care of themselves as much as the can. The life expectancy of women as of 2012 is 106! The attempt at staying healthy includes education, reading and writing. The average adult literacy rate is 83%, the more education the better chances of living independently and gaining necessary skills to survive. Delivering a healthy baby also appears to be important to Haitian women. One visit to the doctor for prenatal care includes 90% of women, and at least four visits account for 67% of women. What strikes me is the maternal mortality as a possible result of having a skilled worker at only 37% of live births. Per 100,000 births , 630 reported maternal deaths occurred between 2008-2012.

As stated before, education is essential to living a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, access to the internet is possible for 11 people per 100.  The literacy rate for males and females are in the  low 70%.  The gross enrollment ratio’s aren’t available between 2008-2012 most likely due to lack in funds to pay, and the earthquake. A 15 year old child, Jean Renee had been out our school before the earthquake, and hasn’t been 3 months afterwards. Sometimes mothers have to make sacrifices of sending one of  her multiple children to school because she is unable to pay school fees.

Rate of progress according to UNICEF fluctuates when it comes to mortality. The annual rate of reduction of children under 5 crept up from 2.7, 3.2, to 2.7 then to 2.9 in 2012. Fortunately, children mortality rate decreased from 246 in 1970 to 76 in 2012. It got much lower, but  I believe it can get lower than that.

There is about a 1 to 1 ratio for people living in urban and rural areas. At the time birth, it would make sense for a skilled attendant to be more present in city areas because of more resources. Urban areas have more knowledge about HIV and better sanitation. People who are the richest 20% have about 20 more babies than the poorest 20%. It’ll take time to develop the rural areas but it isn’t impossible.

One thought on “Week 1 Activity Post

1. Hi Emerald,

The population is actually over 10 million! I’m sure it was just a typo but I wanted to clarify.

Also, the life expectancy of women is about 65 years. I think the figure you saw might be a percentage of some sort.