Week 1 Activity Post: India

The country I chose to research and study throughout the course of the class is India. I have a particular interest in India because I previously went there and did research on women, so I have studied some information about the country before, and always love to learn more.  As of 2016, India had an estimated population of 1.324 million people, and the population is steady increasing each year. The life expectancy as of 2012 is 66.2 years, but it is ranked as 56 for the rate of mortality for children under 5 years of age.  Nutrition wise, 28% of babies are born in India with low birthweight.

The GDP per capita average annual growth rate is 2%.  An interesting figure to me was the difference in  share of household income. The poorest 40% being 21% and the richest 20% being 43%. I suppose I expected the values given to be switched.

For women in India, life expectancy females to percent of males is 105.4 and adult literacy rate in females as a percentage of males is 67.6%.  The contraceptive prevalence is 54.% which is significantly lower than I thought it would be. I believe that this value might be because of the health care system and distribution of wealth within the country. There is a high maternal mortality ratio at 200, which is extremely high and can also be attributed to a poor health care system.

The literacy for rate for males (15-24 years) is 88.4%, which is higher than the % for females at 74.4%. Which I expected based on the knowledge that I gained while there.  Secondary school participation percentages were also lower for women at 48.7% to the males 58.5%.

In terms of disparities, birth registration percentage in urban areas is 59.5% as compared to 34,8& in rural areas.  The ratio of urban to rural birth registration percentage is 1.7.  Underweight prevalence in children under 5 in urban areas is 32.7%, in relation to the 45.6% in rural areas.  I expected values like this because the more rural areas are far from hospitals, making them harder to access for the rural community.  Use of improved sanitation facilities are also significantly different.  The urban being 59.7% and the rural being 23.9%.

India in general seems to have progressive areas in regards to the rural vs. urban community. This seems to be do to a lack of infrastructures, such as hospitals and sanitation systems. The more packed cities suffer from population growth that leaves people stuck in close quarters. I suspect this can also be attributed to the close family ties that are present in India,