Week 1 Activity Post- Malaysia

Over the course of this semester, I want to take a closer look at Malaysia. Particularly, the rates and quality of sexual education that young women are receiving, and how this affects the rates of STDs and HIV in the country.

In 2012, Malaysia had a population of roughly 29,239,900 people, and a life expectancy rate of 74.8 years. I was surprised to find that more females are enrolled in secondary schooling, and females have a higher survival rate to the last grade of primary school than males, at 101.2%. Females have a higher rate of pre-primary school participation as well. Malaysia also has a contraceptive prevalence rate at 49%.

Adolescents make up about 19% of the total population in Malaysia. Currently there are no statistics regarding the rate of comprehensive knowledge of HIV among adolescents, but we do know that 6% of female adolescents are married/ in union, and the adolescent birth rate is at 15%. There is currently no data regarding changes in adolescent birth rate over time, but there has been a steady 3% reduction in under-5 mortality rates from the years 1990 to 2012.

Underweight prevalence in children under 5 is more common in rural area of the country at 14.8%,  versus 9.7% in urban areas. However, use of improved sanitation facilities is very high for both areas. There are not currently any statistics regarding disparities by household wealth provided by UNICEF. I am looking forward to studying Malaysia over the course of this semester, and discovering more about the context of the statistics that I have found here today.