As for comparison between Netherlands and United States, United States have a good medicalization compared to Netherlands. From the lecture video provided, it shares that there is low percentage of US citizen that give birth in the hospital a long time ago and those people chose to give birth at home. However, nowadays, almost 98 percent of US citizen prefer to give birth in the hospital as the result of medicalization. Compared to Netherlands, the percentage of women prefer to give birth at home is higher than those who want to give birth in the hospital. Even the maternity service in Netherlands have been set up as home birth delivery (de Gonge A, et al., 2009). As for comparison between Inuit and United States, Inuit people also used to prefer to give birth at home. But as time passed by, the Inuit women are forced to give birth in the hospital and forbidden to stay with their family. Whereas for US women, they are not being force by anyone whether to give birth at home or in the hospital. They have their own choices and are not restricted by the cultural beliefs. Both Inuit and US birth medical are undergoing medicalization but in different way and beliefs. As the comparison between Hmong families in Vietnam and United States, Hmong families experienced the vice versa of Inuit people. They are welcomed by the midwives in Vietnam to give birth to their babies at home. However, the midwives also somewhat hope that the women should prefer to give birth at medical center than at home. Midwives in Vietnam even learn a lot in order to help their people to give birth at home and as a middle person between the women who want to give birth and the Vietnam doctors. As in United States, I think there is no midwives present of maybe it is very unlikely to be heard within the citizen. Most of the women prefer to go to the hospital by themselves or with their families or by ambulance. They feel safe when giving birth in the hospital than giving birth at home as the hospital is more clean, sanitized and complete with advanced technology. I believe that most of the women prefer to give birth in the hospital because they prefer to do the c-section as well. As for medicalization of death, most of the death rituals were being held at home a long time ago. In the film, it said that the death rituals are usually being settled by families and took place at their own house. The different way of women around the world to give birth is very interesting. I heard that giving birth with the labour way is good for the babies as it strengthens the bond between the mother and the child. Nevertheless, giving birth through c-section is not a bad idea at all since a mother and children can form their bonds throughout the lifetime.

I choose the cover magazine of Your Pregnancy magazine. From the image above, it shares both the normal birth giving method and the c-section. Just like mentioned in lecture video, most American women prefer c-section than the labour method. Therefore, this magazine seems to share the good things about c-section that likely support the choice of most American women. However, they still share the situation and experience about labour so that women know c-section is not the only option to deliver babies even though it is not common in United States. I believe that many magazines in States share about c-section which makes most of the women prefer that method and it also shows the power of media in decision making.

References:

de Gonge A, et al., (2009). New Figures from the Netherlands on the Safety of Home Birth. Retrieved from http://www.homebirthmidwifery.com/PDFs/Safety-NetherlndsStudy.pdf

4 thoughts on “Week 3 Blog Post

1. Hi Farah!

I agree, this magazine does seem to normalize c-sections. However, I’m not sure that women necessarily want a c-section. Do you think that media and medical professions are trying to normalize it in order to make it more likely for women to get one? Although I do not believe that most women want a c-section I do believe that medical professionals are trying to normalize it. In fact, only 22% of women originally sought a c-section, the rest of mothers requested non c-section births (Declercq,2013). I think that this is a huge issue that medicalization has caused in the United States, c-sections are more expensive which might motivate doctors to encourage women to get one.
    Declercq, Eugene R, et al. Listening to Mothers III: Pregnancy and Birth. May 2013, transform.childbirthconnection.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/LTM-III_Pregnancy-and-Birth.pdf.

2. While I find the picture very enticing, I am going to have to totally disagree with you on the topic of women wanting c-sections. I do not think a woman wants to be cut open and awake on the table while being left with a decent sized scar on them for the rest of their life. From my personal experience, I have seen more social media advocating for natural birth than c-section. And like the lecture stated, only 33% of women are having children through c-section. While the percentage of c-sections have definitely jumped over the years, I do not think it is because women jump at the opportunity to get cut open and permanently scarred in that way. Women have c-sections for a multitude of reasons, some may choose that option because of the media, but I would say it the number is less than we think.

3. I’ve seen quite the opposite about c-sections via social media saying women who give birth via c-section are “not as woman”, “didn’t actually experience birth”, or even “took the easy way out”. I personally don’t agree with this, but it’s something that some might believe, and others might experience backlash from. I do think that a “natural” vaginal birth is still the traditional norm within the states being something that most women desire. And I think because of this, while more women are getting c-sections, they are being put down with so many others having distrust in the procedure. There’s also many satirical Facebook groups criticizing women who gave birth via c-section. I think it’s important to realize that no matter how a woman gives birth, she is still giving birth. I wish people would just worry about themselves and not have so much concern with something that has nothing to do with them because in the end, who does the criticism help? Who benefits from being talked down to or made to feel like less of a mother? Unfortunately, it seems that criticism like this is part of human nature, but maybe someday, with proper knowledge, it will let up.

4. Hi Farah,

I’d have to disagree with your statement about most women wanting C-sections. I think many women still prefer vaginal birth because it is the more natural way, unless a C-section is needed. Are women having complications during labor? Is a C-section the safer and healthier way for the baby to be delivered? According to out lecture video, the US has a 33% cesarean rate as of 2014, which is very low. Cesarean surgery can be very scary to women and surgical procedures can come with many complications afterwards, which also might deter women from it. Also, I think the magazine cover does show a positive aspect of C-sections because there are women out there who do undergo that form of delivery and the media might be trying to change a lot of people’s perspective of it. Giving birth is a beautiful moment no matter what form of deliver it is, but I think if women don’t necessarily need to have cesarean surgery, then vaginal birth is the more ideal way.