Langston Week 5 Activity Post

The theory I decided to talk about for this weeks activity blog is theory 1 which is the epidemiological theory. After watching the lecture, I want to talk about how we can go about getting rid of the problem of sex work in Madagascar. In last weeks activity post, I talked about sex work in Madagascar and the efforts being implemented in order to keep the working women safe. In looking more into this topic and trying to figure out how we can go out ridding the problem from Madagascar, I came across an article that talks about that exact topic and what we can do to help stop it. The recommendations as specified by the website are as follows: “provide adequate funding to the National Bureau to Combat Trafficking and promote coordination between the bureau, develop formal procedures for and provide training to officials on how to adequately identify victims, vigorously investigate and prosecute government officials suspected of complicity and seek convictions and adequate punishments, and increase efforts to raise public awareness of labor trafficking, including the labor trafficking of adults” (Madagascar.). There are more that were mentioned in the article, but those are the ones I find to be of the most importance. Rewatching the lecture about the epidemiological theory, they talk about vaccines and how they follow closely with this theory. I know Madagascar is a developing country so they may not exactly have the means to get what is needed but a big thing that could prevent the spread of diseases such as HIV and AIDs among the sex workers is getting vaccinated. I know it would not be ideal for them to get vaccinated and then go into the sex working field, but it would help with the aspect of women and protecting their health. Also in the lecture, they talk about the subquestions being “Where did the disease start and how can humans intervene? These are good questions to think about when we look at the topic of sex work in Madagascar and keeping the women safe and helping them get the care they need.

In the article by Donald Joralemon, Donald talks about how significant epidemics come with substantial knowledge associated with what causes the disease. He also talks about there being links between epidemics and social factors. I think in this case, one of the social factors would be poverty or the environment the women are in as well as the people they are surrounded by and those people’s intentions. I mentioned in my activity post last week that some of these women’s family’s get them ready to go into sex work for money. I think that has a huge effect on not only the women themselves but also their health and the way they see their health and take care of it.

I think this is the best theory for my topic because sex work in Madagascar is a big issue but women’s health is an even bigger issue. We (or them), as a population, need to find ways to minimize or get rid of the issue all together because it is not just these women’s issues – it is a public health issue. If these women are not getting the care they need within the healthcare system, it makes it deadly to those around them. These women may not know they are harboring a disease and may be continuing their work in the sex field and spreading what they have without knowing they have it. There are steps being taken at the individual level to help this cause but we need to look at it from an epidemiological standpoint and think of what we can do as a population to keep these women safe and lessen the diseases being spread in Madagascar.

Lecture: 1.2. Introducing Theory 1: Epidemiological Theory

“Madagascar.” U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of State

PDF: 1.1. Joralemon, Donald. Chapters 3 and 4 – “Recognizing Biological, Social, and Cultural Interconnections” and “Expanding the Vision of Medical Anthropology” In Exploring Medical Anthropology (Pages 30-56)