Week 6 Activity Post

Social norms and the way a society functions involves a series of developmental aspects that builds off each other. The country I chose to study is India as it is my home nationality that I designate and identify myself with. However, I was born her and as a result I never truly understood or have truly delved deep enough to understand what it means to be an indian individual from a social perspective. In order to understand this, I have not only asked my parents but also have put in the research in order to find its correlation with disease outbreaks and epidemics that happen in India in comparison to the rest of the world. In order to understand these ideas we must break down how an Indian society functions and how an individual conforms to it respectively.

In order to see this on a full perspective there are several aspects that we can use to understand a society. However, the aspects I will be choosing to use for today’s argument will include social norms, poverty and inequality. education, stress, and employment ot the lack thereof. The health aspect I chose to research within India, is malaria, diarrhea, and other eastern hemisphere illnesses that are found in relation to the atmosphere, demographic, and social aspects found within that region. In order to understand the aspect, I will quickly go over describing these aspects in order to gauge and provide for a deeper understanding of the social aspects that eventually come to play in regards to illnesses I have chose to study.

Malaria, and several of these other illnesses are commonly found to be in existence as a result of moist atmospheres that serve to be optimal for specific bugs that carry and or produce these illnesses when found within the body. Therefore, the next question to ask would obviously be, “what are the social aspects that contribute to this?”. The first thing I would touch on would be social norms. Having been in India, I am well aware that society is very free lanced as a result of being put together with the second largest population in the world. With bigger population, means higher probabilities and chances for diseases, alongside an even larger chance for anomalies and uncertainties within any data set that is obtained regarding the general Indian population. As I have mentioned before, in my previous posts I have mentioned that a lack of social infrastructure leads to lack of sanitation and order across the board. This is straightforward, as lack of sanitation and order ultimately can lead to a host and breeding of several diseases across the board.

Next is poverty and inequality alongside education. My description of this concept might come off cliché, however the idea of the richer getting richer only contribute to this idea on a holistic level. Education and literacy rates are increasingly rising at steady levels, yet nonetheless as of 2010 they were around closer to fifty percent. This would only go on to mean that a lack of infrastructure only grants sanitation, employment and other infrastructurally developed ideals for a certain group of the population, only leading to further breeding of diseases. All – in – all, there are several social aspects across the board leading to such an epidemic in India.

Works Cited

Sharma, Vinod Kumar, and M.s.l. Saxena. “Climacteric Symptoms: A Study in the Indian Context.” Maturitas, vol. 3, no. 1, 1981, pp. 11–20., doi:10.1016/0378-5122(81)90014-1.

Verma, Suman, et al. “School Stress in India: Effects on Time and Daily Emotions.” International Journal of Behavioral Development, vol. 26, no. 6, 2002, pp. 500–508., doi:10.1080/01650250143000454.