Week 7 Activity Post

I took this class because I previously had a medical anthropology class and I felt this would be a nice extension to it, as it related specifically to women and health. While there was some overlap with my previous class, I learned quite a bit in this class. 

I am happy that this class is being taught from an anthropological perspective.  I think it is important to remember we can’t put our western views on to other cultures.  I personally learned quite a bit about FMG (the term is ethnocentric – as we know).  I agree with Livy, it is a dilemma.  It is very difficult to feel the need for social justice and yet understand another culture and their beliefs that are different from our own. It is difficult to remember this when I have personal beliefs that feel like it is a fine line between cultural practices and excuses for abuse and torture – I have to remind myself to always look at the broad picture.

I also really appreciate the anthropological view that challenges us to look to other cultures and their positive handling of different health issues that challenge us to examine if our way is the “best way”.  For example, looking at midwives as an integral part of birthing practices.  Here in the United States, they were previously respected and recognized as being the experts on birthing babies in an environment that isn’t strictly focused on biomedical practices.  I personally would like to be able to make people more aware of the birthing practices that are taking place in the Netherlands.    

Summer term has time constraints.  That being said, I think possibly expanding (just a touch) on what this week’s topic eludes to… the lack of research into women’s “issues” in a male-centered biomedical field.  The topics discussed in week one also spoke to this.  I would just like to have a broader perspective showing exactly how much research is NOT being done in the manner we might think it is.  Especially given the power of the pharmaceutical companies and their desire to treat illnesses and diseases versus finding the cause of illness and disease.

I really appreciated the feedback we received on our posts. The interaction is helpful and constructive.

One thought on “Week 7 Activity Post

1. I think that talking about the lack of medical research on women’s issues would be a great topic to add to the class, especially since it is such a major issue which even results in life and death! I also appreciate you reading my comments and found them helpful, if I teach an online class again I plan to do the same thing.