Race Interviews

While conducting the interviews I noticed that there was a pattern of the participants behaving hesitant and unsure of what I was asking and how to go about approaching it. I have also noticed that they were not sure whether or not they could fully tell me what they felt. I have the impressive because I myself was at times not the same race as the participants as part of the assignment was to interview different groups of individuals. It did surprise me that the interviewee that seemed to have the more unfiltered response was a younger child who was around the age of twelve and the most straight-forward and blunt reply was from an older women who essentially told me that race differences are important for racial profiling. I think she was asserting her view due to the recent current events in our society right now. After I pondered these vastly different responses to “what is race” I realized it did confirm my assumption a little. This is due to what I believe is education and the purity of a child’s mind. The child, I assume, learned what race was from her history class or school in general while the older woman has probably had a rough upbringing or just seen a lot of negative race differences and it ultimately changed the way she looked at race and people of color. I have learned that while people don’t always know how to articulate what exactly race is they do have a sense of what it is not. I think the majority of people know that you cannot simply say race is needed for stereotyping individuals or that a certain race is superior but this being said they could still think that. From the assignment, I have learned that conducting anthropological research is the best way to get unfiltered feedback from participants and it can sometimes be awkward to confront people especially when you have a vast variety of people to survey, but I have learned that once one gets the research one feels more connected to their research population because they went out into the field and communicated with participants. Sometimes when asking a question such as this one, the participant will ask another question or state something the researcher had not considered.

One thought on “Race Interviews

1. Hi Karishma,

My name is Austin and I really like reading your post. I find it pretty interesting myself of the child pureness at heart about the matter. I can see why the older lady would see the world differently now since the times have change in our society. I do however agree that race cannot be an stereotype and that conducting the interview gives you research within the field.

Best,
    Austin