Analytical Post

Racialization is when someone pegs another person as a specific race, whether that person believes that they are that race or not, and imposes that race’s stereotypes onto them as well.  Based on the specific given race, it provides guidelines on how to treat that person.  When a person is given a race, it is typically because they are not the majority.  The race of that person may also change with the current culture’s understanding of race.

I would explain the Gould/Morton debate to others as men who tried to scientifically back their morals.  Morton claimed that white people had bigger brain cases, and therefore had a higher intelligence than natives, or those of color.  Gould thought that Morton had skewed his results to fit his bias and thought that Morton was inaccurate in his findings.  Gould did his own research, which was based off of Morton’s, and found Morton to be wrong.  However,  Morton seems to have done his research well enough to back his claims, whereas Gould seemed to look for anything he could skew to back his claims that Morton had let his bias affect his scientific discovery.

I do not think that Gould’s inaccuracies further support Morton’s claim.   Though Morton did do his research and experiments well enough to back his  claim that whites were the superior race, it still does not change the fact that today scientists claim that brain size and intelligence are not something that can be correlated.  Though Morton’s findings say that white’s have a bigger brain case, it does not mean that whites are more intelligent, or superior than natives or people of color.

One thought on “Analytical Post

1. I like the way you were able to explain the Gould/Morton controversy. I appreciate that you managed to explain it so simply and succinctly, as that was my goal and I don’t feel as though I achieve that. My explanation took up a much larger portion of my blog post than I had intended, although it truly is a simple case of one man trying to prove another wrong and ended up letting his own biases affect his research. I also agree with you that Gould’s inaccuracies do not further support Morton’s claim. I think most people familiar with his work in a scholarly way are in agreement that Morton’s research was based on systematic mistakes and that he was able to provide minimal evidence to support his claim that whites were the superior race. I think the only result of Gould’s research was that he didn’t manage to prove Morton wrong as he originally intended to do.