Week 2 Analytical

The concept “Racialization” is introduced as “the extension of racial meaning to a previously racially unclassified relationship, social practice or group.” From what I’ve learned through this weeks materials, I consider this process as the introduction of local racial understandings to foreign, in other words, incompatible or distinctive believes social groups. A brilliant example will be the one introduced in the lecture, the conflict between Catholics, Christians and Jews in Spain. Catholics and Christians believes that most crimes involves the participation of Jews. So this is considered as the emergence of religious conflicts between local residences in Spain.   Some Christians appeal their complaint through their behaviors, such as lending money to Jews and receiving high usury. And by this time period, Catholics and Christian combined together against Jews. And as Ferdinand and Isabella started the control of the whole nation and the carry out of Alhambra Decree. Jews were forced to wear yellow badges in order to test if they were engaged in violence and protests. They also compel local Jews to change their belief, or otherwise they must move abroad. However, superiors still worried about the true believers of God and the existence of religious conflicts, so they released the “Blood Purity Law” to exam if the Jews were truly believed in God. It’s not hard to see that the racialization process throughout the instance, from the emergence of the religious conflict, relatively statements carried out against unclassified groups and the results after a sires of actions took placed.  Similar processes can be found in the Casta paintings and the slavery in North Africa, America and Europe.

3 thoughts on “Week 2 Analytical

1. After reading your post, I find your definition of racialization to be very interesting. How people react to these, as you put it, foreign beliefs or social groups I think explains rather well what racialization is. This negative perception of these foreign beliefs creates a view of those who are different as being this unknown “other” that does not belong or should be feared. This then leads to the belief that this group of individuals should be shunned or converted to the belief system held by those who are doing the racialization.

I also find it interesting that new regulations on Jewish people kept coming out, as if the previous treatment and regulations weren’t bad enough. From racializing them and treating them poorly to regulations such as: requiring them to wear yellow badges that visually showed they were Jewish, being required to convert their religious views if they did not wish to be forced to leave their home or face being killed, and having to endure “Blood Purity Law” requirements. Something new kept coming up in order to continue and/or increase the amount of pressure on the Jewish people in an effort to keep them separate from everyone else and disadvantaged.

2. I think that your opinion on racialization is very similar to mine. I believe racialization is associating certain characteristics with a group that as a whole does not identify themselves with. The example that you pointed out to is a great example of this. Labeling crime participation to Jews is definitely an association that all Jews do not want to identify with. I think we will see this in many of the material we will learn about between multiple different religious groups. Even today on a lesser scale we tend to do associations like this between groups of religion. It is common to hear jokes and ridicule of a certain religious group in terms of money and greed. However, these statements have no truth and no sources to back them up. I think it is important that we understand racialization because it can cause a great amount of conflict. Overall, I think that by labeling we create tension because people in general want to be individuals and do not want to be labeled in groups.

3. I enjoyed reading your response, it differed from my own in that you used the racial tensions in medieval Spain to illustrate your point. Your second sentence brought up a very interesting point, if I understood you correctly, that you consider racialization to be an “introduction of local racial understandings to foreign…groups.” This confused me somewhat, as the way I interpreted racialization to be the creating of racial groups and racial thinking through differences, and that racialization created racial understandings within societies. I could be entirely wrong, your post has certainly made me reconsider my understanding of racialization and how it occurs. You did a fantastic job in summarizing what we learned in lecture about Catholics, Christians and Jews in Spain, you were very concise yet explained what was important, not leaving out key details. I also like how you point out that the Jews were forced to wear bands identifying their faith, as that is characteristic of extreme discrimination.