Week 2 Analytical Post

Racialization is a major term to understand race and racism. To me, it is an act of constructing race, practicing it and imposing racial characters. Racialization begins when we sort people based on their inborn characteristics, and we sometimes do it being unaware of their racial uniqueness. Race is not just about some minor groups. In every racial or ethnic groups, people are comfortable with their identities, cultures and traditions. But when someone from outside try to label them, misjudgment often happens. From my own example, most of the white people take me as ‘Indian’ and not ‘Asian’, because I’m brown. Well not every brown people are Indian; they can be Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Brazilian, Cambodian and from many different countries and cultures. And even if I am Indian, why can’t I be referred as Asian? India is literally a part of Asia. Am I not Asian just because I am not Chinese. Japanese or Korean? Do I have to look like ‘yellow’ and ‘oriental’ to be an Asian?

When explaining the Gould/Morton controversy to a family or friend, I will try to be neutral and honest. Morton found that the size of human skull indicates his intelligence, and since Caucasian people have larger skulls, they are more intelligent. And Gould used the research and found that Morton selectively chose his data and made systematic error to support his hypotheses, though it’s proved to be false as Morton did not do any such thing. I don’t know if Morton had racist thought behind his research, or it was just because he didn’t have enough resource. By now, advanced science and technology has found nothing that can help his claim. But what Gould did was totally unethical and illegal. And I don’t think Gould’s claims could lead to credibility in Morton’s claims.

One thought on “Week 2 Analytical Post

1. I found it was interesting Gould/Morton controversy about the intelligence of people from different race. I do believe for research to be accurate it should random data. Or if data is selective it can not be considered accurate to all human. What made their research interest is they had systematic errors. Gould often times mistaken Woman skulls for children; they considered these skulls as African American decedents. I do agree with your statement “Morton had racist thought behind his research, or it was just because he didn’t have enough resource”. It does seem as if his research was racist. I believe in order for his research to be accurate he should have more data. I also agree with your statement: “By now, advanced science and technology has found nothing that can help his claim”. I’m pretty sure if someone else was to do this research they would succeed in this experiment.