Week 3: Activity

Question 1 -At the beginning of the video the village is about 2/3 Muslim and 1/3 catholic. This area was the former Yugoslavia that was then divided into multiple regions. Bosnia is sandwiched between Croatia and Serbia. In the beginning of the video they talk about how people can’t go to work, schools have closed, Serbians cannot look in the eye of Croatians. The biggest worry is that the situation may change. Even though the women come from different backgrounds and have different beliefs they are best friends and get together almost every day and have coffee.

Question 2 – The men are no longer able to work. They often stay home and chop wood, a lot of wood. The women have to take care of all the chores around the house, cleaning, cooking, tending the yard, feeding the live stock when the men go off to fight. Some of the Muslim women still have jobs and walk four miles to work in the factories.

Question 3 – It is my understanding that in the main cities Muslim shops are shot up. Catholics control the cities; many places are flying the Croatian flags even though many still just identify as Yugoslavian. Back in the day nationality was not important to the people. The shelling keeps moving closer and closer.

Question 4 – In the end the war brought many changes. Many Muslims fled the town. Almost every Muslim home was destroyed. All the Catholic homes were fine. The friends of many years slowly drifted apart. One lady called to her friend when she was in the field to come over but she refused. The war divided two close friends.

3 thoughts on “Week 3: Activity

1. Way to pay attention and cover what each of the questions was asking! 🙂 It is a shame that the nice people of this nation had to face the negative impacts of war. I couldn’t even imagine having my closest friends and neighbors turning against me randomly because of our different beliefs. Especially if we were able to live peacefully all those years before. You would think that by this day and age we could learn to live peacefully with at least our neighbors, but that is unfortunately not the case. There is still constant civil strife all around the globe, and the poor citizens of Bosnia were just one of the many unfortunate examples of that.

2. Katie, I think your in-depth analysis of these questions should help all of us to understand the course materials even more- good job. I agree that I think it is shameful that all of these countries, in this case Bosnia, have to go through something horrific like War because people disagree with one another on religion. You would think by now we would have learned how to racially tolerate people but unfortunately that is no the case. In another post I talked about the movie “Slumdog Millionaire” and how they go to war in India which is also a Muslim vs Christian battle. I think both these films are important to dissect if we want to avoid this sort of thing happening in our own country which I am sure we all do. Indeed, war solves very little and only divides friendships.

3. I like what you said in your response to question three, that many people still identify as Yugoslavian but there wasn’t previously the sense of nationalism that they are now seeing in Croatia. I think the key point here is that nationalism – or extreme nationalism – is a main source for cultural and social divide, which ultimately leads to war. We’ve seen this happen throughout history in such countries as Italy, Russia, and China but the most recognizable instance was that of Nazi Germany. A lot of the same things occurred there. Jews and Christians lived together in peaceful communities, but eventually government interference and the hatred towards Jews divided those communities as well. Unfortunately, religion has been the cause of many battles throughout the course of history and it still continues to be a major cause of political and social unrest.