Week 3 Reflection Post

By engaging in this weeks reading, I get to know lots of problems in Mexico. I am surprised to learn that there are so many problems in regard of education, nationalization and living condition in Mexico. People in Mexico identify themselves from others. They even use different languages. The division has caused many problems. Gamio try to deal with the problem that how to make the country with two groups of people from different background seen as one nation. The other problem addressed is that how the constitution did not serve all the people in Mexico. the Constitution of 1857 was only accepted by 20% of the population, mostly the European origins, which is really inappropriate. He thinks that the government should not only cater the need of the Europeans but also cares for the natives.  Gamio thought one language would be helpful to solve the problem. Furthermore, the culture should be accepted and embraced by both groups. Therefore, blending culture into each other is a way to go. To bring the people together, Gamio suggested to “indianize” the European origins. At the same time he also considered that the native Indian culture is inferior to that of the European descendants. The natives should be   Europeanized gradually. However, Gamio also tried to emphasize the beauty in the native culture. He suggested the two cultures meet each other half way.

The whiteness was defined as 100% Caucasian. Only a little bit different on DNA would not be count as whiteness. At first, only northern Europeans are classified as white. And Southern Europeans do not fit into the category. While during the European immigration period, the Europeans are seen as white no matter which part of Europe they come from. As long as their skin color are the same they belong to the category of white even if they have a little other ethnicity.

The laws keeps other group from claiming themselves white. The Immigration Act of 1924 in the U.S. was utilized to restrict the number of immigrants by quota-base. Naturalization Act of 1906  indicated that which immigrantsonly White and people of African descent or African nativity  were eligible to become naturalized citizens.

2 thoughts on “Week 3 Reflection Post

1. I really enjoyed reading your post I found myself nodding my head along almost the whole time. I was on the same page as you about how deep and far Mexico’s issues and problems go within their country. Your insert on whiteness i found intriguing since you mentioned the immigrants and how basically you were classified as white if your skin was, which was good enough to go into that category. This made me wonder do some people really think there is only two kinds of people white and black, because this is not the case at all. White people come in many forms shapes and sizes even different shades but so do black people, skin color is just a small simple attribute to the human complexion, which I believe a lot of people fail to see. Whats that saying, its what is on the inside that matter.

2. Your post summarizes this week’s readings very well! I found the piece concerning the problems in Mexico to be very interesting. I find it astounding that a constitution that was only excepted by such a small group, Europeans, in 1857 was allowed to be put into place. Furthermore, the ways in which Gamio thought to bring people together I cannot completely agree with. They should be allowed to keep their languages and cultures because they are a part of who they are. Yes, they should be able to coexist with one another, but to “indianize” the Europeans and “Europeanize” the natives I think would cause many more problems than it would solve. I think Gamio’s suggestion of the two cultures meeting each other half way would be more effective than trying to force each group of people to be something that they are not.
    I also find it interesting that while people from certain parts of Europe, mostly the northern areas, were allowed to come to the US because they fit the definition of “whiteness”, other Europeans were not even though in appearance they were white. This term of “whiteness” not only was talking about the color of someone’s skin, but during this time was also referring to certain religions that were looked down upon.