Week 3 Reflection Post

In this week’s readings, Gamio centered that the problems of Mexico were that it did not address its fusion. It does not look at both sides of its cause. It is built solely upon the Spaniard when the Indian makes up more than half of its population. Gamio states that the idea of Mexico’s constitution of 57’ is completely outdated, and I definitely agree. He also focuses on the question of whether or not millions of people from different ethnic backgrounds can converge under the same umbrella of law. It is definitely questionable, how can the Indian respect and feel patriotic in a land where the laws overlook him and his people? Especially when these laws were established to disenfranchise a whole group of people. He further notes that the Indian is in a different diverse environment that is not his own, he speaks a language that is not his and he also practices a culture that was forced upon him. Gamio says that there must be a fusion, especially when dealing with legislation at the forefront. This fusion must also focus on the native as the basis. According to Gamio, the process should be democratic as well, the legislation should be chosen by the population. That goes hand in hand with the definition of whiteness, defined in this week’s readings. The way the legislation reigns over all in Mexico to disenfranchise its citizens, is the same way it happens in the United States. It was the role of scientists trying to prove eugenics, which caused the laws to be passed in the early 1900s, which allowed for only Whites and African Natives to be included in the immigration laws. This, is what prompted the United States congress to crucially define what whiteness was, because in the beginning South Asians and others with lighter skin were considered white and could seek naturalization. This, which many laws were created from, to keep those “unfit” to enter the counter and keep those Europeans at the top of the hegemonic hierarchy. This set the basis for later conflicts because it standardized who the elites were.

5 thoughts on “Week 3 Reflection Post

1. This week’s readings really showed the problems of Mexico. Gamio really wanted to address the problems in Mexico by combining the cultures. I agree with both you and Gamio on Mexico’s constitution being completely outdated. The Spaniard is favored over the natives who were originally the ones settled in Mexico. The Spaniard came in and took over Mexico with force long ago and ever since then, the natives who make up over half the population have been seen as second-class citizens. It is crazy how the natives had a culture diverse to theirs forced upon them. Due to the Spaniards forcing their rule upon the natives, the natives have lost their language because they are out of their natural culture. When I read about the way the natives are treated in Mexico, it made me think of what the Americans did to the Native Americans here in the United States in the past. Native Americans were treated horribly and America took everything from them. I believe this is very similar to what the Spanish did to the natives in Mexico.

2. I think something that also makes helping Mexico become a better country is that there are so many people trying to intervene. Many people come into their country, take their resources, distribute them outside of Mexico and take all the profits for themselves instead of helping. They bring in their ideas too with what they think is best but they don’t know the real Mexico. Only Mexico can save itself. There are so many different people in Mexico who believe in different things. When the people invaded the land, they forced the natives to change to their ways instead of learning how they lived. It is extremely hard to develop a country when the beliefs of the people are so different and diverse and no one is willing to adapt their ways. The people need to come together and set up something that work for them. The only hope and answers for Mexico have to come from within.

3. Great post. I really enjoyed how you broke down this week’s readings and placed them into a greater perspective. I agree with Gamio’s observation that an Indian cannot respect or feel apart of a group of people in a land that completely ignores their culture. I also agree with Gamio’s idea that a solution can only effectively come from within because they are able to identify what needs to change on a personal level. Outside sources such as the USA do not address the root of the issue(s). Constitutions and laws are a great way of providing structure for a society however; we see within our own society that it is very challenging for laws to be inclusive of everyone in order to provide a particular guide through life. In addition to this, we saw the readings portray how laws exclude several groups of people in order to promote one group as being superior over the other.

4. I think Gamio was a very insightful man. He knew that Mexico’s problems weren’t something that could be easily solved like adding railroads or constructing a petroleum plant. He was keen to describe how the lack of fusion between the two cultures was ultimately what was causing Mexico’s problems. I commend you for describing Gamio’s vision for a new constitution and also using the word “disenfranchise” to describe how the Europeans prevented Indians to have rights. I think you also emphasized Gamio’s main objective very well. He really wanted the Indians, who made up most of the population, to be represented in legislation. I would agree that this relate heavily with last week’s topic, Eugenics. Any form of segregation that only allows a certain group to have the power is a form of eugenics. It perpetuates a culture where only the people who came before them will spawn the power and weeds out, as you put it, the “unfit” from being represented.

5. I agree with you completely that the Mexico’s constitution of 57’ is outdated. This is for many reasons such as the Indians making up a significant proportion of the Spanish population and especially because this law looks to segregate and disenfranchise an entire population. This issue reminded me of the way Native Americans were treated in America once long ago and we ignored that they were the majority in America at one point and because of our laws at that time we brought their entire population to a fraction. Laws have a great effect on the outcome of our history and I believe Mexico had similar laws set in place in their county at one point that sets up the countries Indian population for failure.
    I agree with you on your point about their needing to be a fusion for a country to operate to its capacity and to ensure each citizen is valued and acknowledged. When this doesn’t happen there are discrepancies and uproars, rightfully.
    Like you have stated all rules and regulations must be amended as problems arise in our world and like you said one example of this was the fact that the word ‘Caucasian’ was defined to include the South Asian populations but because of prejudices we said South Asians could not enter the country because at the time the integration of other populations were simply not the answer.This was an example of a law amended in a negative light. So clearly we must amend laws to fit our time for the better.