Week 4 Activity Post

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/07/post-racial-society-distant-dream/395255/

This article states how we need more than a good president to erase centuries of violence. Although I agree with that statement, I also think having a good president maybe a nice start.  In the article it states that America’s struggle is to become not post- racial, but post-rascist. Basically meaning we should seek not a world where the black race and the white race live in harmony, but a world in which the terms black and white have no real political meaning.  This article relates to the other articles about Obama’s speeches where he believe there’s not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there’s the United States of America. The only difference is the writer of the article I have chosen believes that it takes more than a president to change the world. However, they all agree that terms black and white shouldn’t matter but we all should be co existing equally with one another.

According to the article “Post-Racial America? The Tangle of Race, Religion, and Citizenship” ,  post-racial means that american social and political life has become race-neutral and that, except for those on the fringes, Americans have rejected the overt practices of racial discrimination and hierarchy that have marked most of the nation’s history. Our nation has yet to become Post-Racial, and with all the racist or discrimination killings and cop killings thats been going on I don’t think America will be there any time soon. However, I hope that we can come up with some kind of solution to better the United States because all these killings are nothing but heart breaking and makes me believe the United States has no hope.

9 thoughts on “Week 4 Activity Post

1. “Having a good President” is a great start. But that is not enough when the goal is to basically end racism in a whole. President Obama isn’t biased nor is he racist to a race. But they’re are so many things that stop us from being racially biased toward each other and a good president isn’t the cure of all cures. We must first want to do better before we can trust someone else is helping us become better. It is so easy to assume race plays a part in a situation, due to the fact it does play a huge part in our lives everyday.

In order to do better we must want to do better. President Obama feels as though there is no post racial activity in the country. I feel Mr.Obama has great intentions, but so many thing in today’s society influences people that race is such a big thing today. Everyone with a great heart, dreams for a day where black and white doesn’t matter. Unfortunately right now. Race does matter.

2. I agree with the point you made that “having a good president may be a nice start” to having America move towards a post-racial era. One person can make a huge difference, especially one person who has as much power as the President of the United States, but that does not mean he can single handedly move America to an era where racism and discrimination do not occur. Society as a whole has to make a conscious effort to move in this direction in order for America to reach a post-racial era.
    Furthermore, I strongly agree with the quote from the President you placed in your post referring to how “there’s not a black America and White America…there’s the United States of America.” Even though people look different from one another, and come from different countries with different ethnic backgrounds, this does not change the fact that we are all part of both the United States and the human race. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

3. I do not think we need to necessarily erase the centuries of violence but learn from them. While I do think that having a good president would help to a point. The president can’t force someone to believe something just because they are president. When it comes to seeking a no real political meaning, I think people do need to live in harmony. In harmony there is no violence or care about what is happening, people are just getting along. I agree that there is only the United States of America and everyone has a rights. I agree with the writer that it takes more than a president to change the world. There will always be people who are against what they say. It always seems that there are people out there that are just looking for a fight for no reason. I don’t know if being becoming race-neutral is necessarily a good thing. What I mean by that is people should not be ashamed by their skin color. They should be proud of it and where their roots come from. So many people care about what other people believe or look like when it doesn’t affect them personally. People just need to learn to accept that some people are “different” then them and that it is not a bad thing.

4. I have to admit that this article you presented is impressive. It’s not hard to see that racial problem is quite serious in America nowadays, even though it has been better compares to the past. From what I’ve read, the author consider it’s the government and the president’s responsibility to solve the current Post-Racist circumstance so that they can maintain the balance of the society and the relationship between citizens of various races. I’ve heard the tragic story of the black young man killed by local police, and this became the fuse of the conflict between black citizens in the U.S. and the government, and I really feel sorry for him. From personal point of view, racial problem really threatens the peace of today’s world and need to be deal with effectively through the effort of us, and I’m sure one day people from all race can live together happily without any objections an disagreements, although we have done a great job currently.

5. Thank you for your post about this article. I agree with the sentiment that it takes more than one good president to erase the past. However, what is a good president? That is such a subjective ideal. In a time where there seems to be a great deal of people set on hyping divisive issues – top issues on that list seem to be “racial” divisions and religious divisions. If the article is suggesting that the issues first need to be solved at a government level, we have a VERY long way to go. One can argue that a political agenda was in place to have a black man elected as the President of the United States – for the sake of having a black president. President Obama’s platform and ideals took a back seat to the fact he is not white. Unfortunately, I know people that think everything that he says is untrue simply due to the fact of his skin color. We have a long way to go. And it’s not just a black and white thing, it’s about education, fear, tolerance and compassion.

6. Interesting article! I think it was very cool that you found an article that is so relevant to our course concepts. As far as “Post Racial America” goes, I think President Obama has done a great job of reducing racial tensions in this country. I agree with you that we need a more than just “great” president to completely eliminate or mostly eliminate racial tensions in this country. However, we are on the verge of backtracking with Donald Trump, who’s grandfather, and father were members of the KKK. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be a post racial america for much longer if we elect a racist president. I think we should all take a moment and be happy about the job President Obama has done as far making America “post-racial”

7. I agree with the article in the sense that a good president isn’t going to end racism, but I also agree with you that it’s a contributing factor. We have to think about it this way: If the leader of our nation preaches hatred and racism, the people are going to start reflecting that in their opinions of others. If a nation’s leader preaches love and acceptance, we’re going to see more of that in our society, although the hatred will never go away. The president sets an example for the American people and his words and actions do have an effect on us. While the president can help improve the situation, he or she alone is not the cure. Similarly, a president can make things worse. I don’t want to get too political, but we’ve seen Donald Trump express racist and xenophobic ideas during this election, and we’ve seen an increase in the American people who support those ideas openly. That’s not to say that those people didn’t have those ideas already but because someone they look up to is stating them, they feel it’s okay to do so as well.

8. I really enjoyed reading your post. It came off as being very realistic in terms of the society that we live in today. I too agree that we are not living within post-racial terms and it will take much more that a great president to fix that. A great president can only influence our nation so much especially since our nation was built on and is deeply rooted with racism. Race should not be the depending factor of how someone is treated. It will take a continuous effort from individuals, communities, congress, and a great president in order to keep moving forward. I am not sure if we will obtain a post-racist society however, at this point progress toward one is needed. In reference to the multitude of senseless killings from police officers on African-Americans, our society is losing a sense of hope. There is a lack of trust that seems to result from the color of one’s skin. As your post stated, we need to accomplish more than just a great president, we need an action plan.

9. I really like your approach to this topic. It seems you are more optimistic about how positive changes can come about. It doesn’t all happen at once, but like you say, “having a good president is a good start.” Our President is such an important figure not only politically, but culturally and what they say and do can have a tremendous impact and jump start ideas, or help carry them into mainstream society and influence ways of thinking to be changed. President Obama has attempted to do so much in this aspect, and I believe that the fact that he is making sure these issues are brought up and saying, this isn’t how it should be, how can we make it better, can do so much good that will hopefully be able to continue on in the minds of many Americans, after his term is over.