Week 4 reflection

I’m impressed by this weeks lecture about the segregation and universalism equality. From all these materials, I’m pretty interested in Gunner Myrdal’s “An American Dilemma” and his idea of “American Creed”. Myrdal published his study during 1944 and proclaimed that the relationship between local American and black people are seriously limited by the racism and the impression by the whites back then. He mentioned that the whites commonly paid their attention on the effects of such circumstances of current society brought upon them rather than the causes. Meanwhile,they believed that there were something about the blacks that causes these problems. The lecture also displayed Myrdal’s methods of eradicating those problems, which is either proceed the elimination of whites prejudice or the enhancement of social black circumstances. Then he gave out the idea “American Creed”, which contribute to emphasize the ideals of liberty, equality, justice and fair treatment for all people in America. His idea influenced the United States government so that they carried our several laws and actions to balance the equality of society and protected non-white citizen’s rights, such as the “8802” and “E09981” protocol issued by the presidents during the time period of 1940 and 1950.

From what I think, Myrdal’s ideas and his masterpiece “An American Dilemma” clearly states the development of U.S. history of protecting non-white people’s rights and there for helped to make contribution to universalism equality. Let’s not for get what mentioned in this week’s lectures, that black people serves the U.S. military over 11% during World War 2. Besides, I totally agree with the statement that Myrdal’s idea illustrates the importance of universal equality as long as the significance of realities of discrimination equality.

2 thoughts on “Week 4 reflection

1. It is so shameful to look into our nation’s history and try to grasp on the injustices that have been committed by our past leaders. While some laws may have been passed to protect the rights of non whites, we cannot blind ourselves to all the rights violated of non whites to protect the rights of whites. We strive on being a nation of freedom and equality for all, yet that has not and is not the case. The injustice committed in the past has not helped the mindset that we have towards minorities today. The sad part is that people think that just because the cruel treatment and unfair laws have stopped we have reached a place of post racism and equality. While the laws have changed, we need to make up for the past discrimination and harm that was done. If we want to claim our equal rights and our freedoms we need to do so by acknowledging our past mistakes and moving forward by redeeming them.

2. Hello, I enjoyed reading your thoughts about our assignment for this week. It’s interesting because your post is fairly different from mines. You wrote about things I did not notice in our lecture. I like that you wrote about Gunner Myrdal’s “An American Ideal” and his idea of the “American Creed”. I learned many facts from your post; since our post is differs I’ll share a few facts I found interesting. I wrote “Arguments that have arose in the Post- Racial America Debate were colorblindness, and religion. The thought of being color blind did not exist. People only saw the outer appearance of a person before determining there character. If a person a browner completion than others may or may not treated a person differently. As we saw in last week studies religion changes communities. Certain religions are accepted and others are not.” I only quote a small statement from my post. I hope it was interesting!