Week 4 Reflection Post

Today was my first time reading Obama’s “America is not a post racial society” and I loved how he tried to explain the African American point of view, so that others (outside of the black community) could better understand and share the same feelings as us. In the speech he also explained ways to better our law enforcement so that an Trayvon Martin incident doesn’t happen again. Well, as we can see that isn’t the case because there has been several different incidents that happen after that. However, Obama did have interesting ideas to help citizens gain back some trust with the law enforcement. He mentioned that “it’d be productive for the Justice Department, governors, mayors, to work with law enforcement about training at the state and local levels in order to reduce the kind of mistrust in the system that sometimes currently exists.” I totally agree with this, I think the enforcers of the law should be trained differently. Maybe if they were trained differently, their (the officers who kill unarmed black men) first thought wouldn’t be to kill whenever they felt threatened. Or maybe instead of pulling out gun on unarmed men, they should pull out tasers, that way if they are feeling “threatened” they can hurt the individual instead of killing them. I know that with all the tragedies that has happened with cops killing black men, has really made the black community think negatively about the law enforcements and I think we do need to put something in place so that law enforcement can gain our trust back.

3 thoughts on “Week 4 Reflection Post

1. Hey! Great thoughts on Obama’s article and on the current state of police-citizen relationships in today’s society. I completely agree that there needs to be a sweeping reformation of the way our police forces respond and interact with the people they protect, especially with minorities and marginalized groups. I think the militarization of police forces adds to the fear that the public feels when dealing with police officers. Personally I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that the police are able to carry out targeted bombings to kill a suspect (as we saw recently in Dallas). I would also go one step further and say that not only do the police need to look at how they conduct themselves, but also how we as people interact with police. Many parents use the police as a threat to reign in an unruly child. This may help immediately, but it creates a distrust of police officers that I personally believe we see today.

2. I agree with you! I really enjoyed Obama’s speech because unlike many other politicians, he’s not trying to sugarcoat injustice to try and justify these wrong actions. I like that he admits that America is not in a post-racial era and does not try to take the colorblind view that many Americans have adopted. I also really like that he offers solutions. He doesn’t only talk about the bad stuff but also gives society some hope that we can get better. I think with this particular subject of police brutality, the most important solution is retraining officers so that their first instinct is not to shoot someone who they feel is threatening. I think your suggestion of tasers is interesting because it would decrease the number of deaths, however, I still think different measures should be taken. It’s the fact that these officers stereotype the black males which makes post-racial America harder to get to. That’s why I think retraining officers’ stereotypes is the main solution.

3. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on President Obama’s discussion of racial tension (particularly Trayvon Martin). This has been something I have struggled with quite a lot in recent months, as I am not an African American and I just simply don’t understand as much of the situation as I possibly could. Unfortunately, we are in a state in this country where it seems the majority of those in power (or hoping to be after the election) are ignorant to the realities of racial issues and the point behind Black Lives Matter and other such movements. I may not fully understand the issue today, tomorrow, or ever, but I hope that, if I can get one thing from this course, it is a stronger understanding of the situation, which will only strengthen my support of any race-related equality movements supported largely by the Democratic party. Great work!